Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do 12" cabs handle Vocals?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pesticle, Jan 11, 2003.

1. i play through a direct box and to a pa live and i was wondering how well singing sounds through 2 12" pa cabinets. how will it sound through 10" cabs also? or would it be best to get 2 15s?

2. i kinda need thisanswer quickly.. so even with no experience an estimated guess would be nice"P i have 4 hours before i cant bid no more..... i have 2 12s in my price range and i want to know if it will be ok to sing through them

3. Tenchibo

Tenchibo

Dec 8, 2002
    For practice, we put our vocals through older guitar amps and it works fine. I dont know much in this field, but vocals seem to sound ok with any speakers.

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I think that's a too general question, there are bad and good speakers of any size. We use 12"+horn EV300 speakers (plus Mackie subs) in our PA and they sound very good. You get what you pay for to a large extent though. To generalize crazily I would perhaps go for 15" speakers if we're talking lower prize, just for a fuller sound. If you want a good sound from small cabinets we're talking more money (again, generalizing, which I don't like to do).

5. Vocals will sound sweet through most 12" speakers. Most 12 handle frequencies down to about 70 mor 75 hz with no problem. Most singers never get below about 110 hz. If your only running vocals through these I would prefer them to 15's.

6. A band in my area uses 2x10 cabs with horns(not bass cabs) and 18" subs for their PA....So 10's will handle it, and I'm SURE 12's will...

7. Jaysound

Jaysound

Jan 9, 2003
    Australia
    I dunno about using a 15" for vocals, unless it's got a good horn to back it up you won't get much clarity. 10"s and 12"s would be better, but if you want to run some of the band through it as well as vocals, then I'd suggest the 12"s, they will handle a bit more.

But I agree, you get what you pay for. Unfortunately, most cheap speakers sound cheap! Try second hand?

8. For many years, 12’s were the standard for vocals. Kustom and Sunn come to mind as having PA systems using 2 columns containing 4x12’s each. These sound great for vocals only. They have a big warm (there’s that word again) sound but lack much content above 5 or 6K. Don’t even think about running anything else through them however, it will really compromise your vocals.

9. Jaysound

Jaysound

Jan 9, 2003
    Australia
    A lot of reputable companies are making 12" + horn combos, I used to use one myself. 4 x 12"s is a different story, I'm not familiar with those boxes, but from the sound of things they don't have a horn at all. Hence their lack of top end.

I think you'll find that the norm for smaller speakers is either a 10" + horn, or a 12" + horn.