1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do a guitar player get the groove.. Back to basssicks project

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LowGrowl, May 11, 2011.

1. LowGrowl

LowGrowl

Jan 20, 2011
    Mexico City
    Hi everyone!
    I'd like to share an educational project i'm coming up with lately. I began my musical career playing keyboards in highschool for a few years, then shredding electric guitar in a speed metal band and finally 8 years ago i picked up the bass for a pop/rock band. I'm mostly a liric bass player althoug i took music classes for the keys and the guitar. So as i tend to soften my musical tastes i feel like i'm lacking of the very basic foundations of groove... the repertoire of the greatest players of all time

The project is this:
    1.- Collect as much great bass lines as i can (from this links for example) and from my personal music collection

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f19/best-bass-lines-3360/
    100 Greatest Rock Basslines

2.- Categorize them by style and level of proficiency required
    3.- Order the list progressively
    4.- Study a little about the band, the era & the player in turn
    5.- Learn the basslines!!!

By now my list is about 100 songs, it's not totally categorized but I have started to learn very sweet songs i've never heard before...

Any experience or coments on this topic, transition from guitar to bass and building a repertoire would be apreciated!

Blessings
    Ray

2. flattman

flattman

May 3, 2011
    I'm not able to find it just now, but I have stumbled across a pretty big list of progressively difficult songs messing around with the search function. I know that's not particularly helpful, since I don't recall exactly what I was searching at the time (I printed it out, and my brain immediately dumped the 'how I found it' info, heh), BUT... something like that -does- exist on this very forum... somewhere.

I just made the switch from rhythm/lead guitar a week or so ago. Making some progress -- Feels like I'm moving along quickly enough, but we're talking about a couple hours of daily practice so the time adds up.

Some fun stuff I've been plunking around with:

Easiest of the Easy: With or Without You. Pretty great song for me, learning-wise. Get a feel for straight 8's timing, finger playing, and for me personally also great for getting used to singing while playing bass.

Another Easy option with 8's: Good, Better Than Ezra.

Fly Away, Lenny Kravitz. 8's in the verses, one leading note, and a neat little primer in slap/pop octaves in the verses. Fun to play for as simple as it is.

Taxman, the Beatles. THAT little pattern and variations thereof has popped up repeatedly for me, and definitely worth practicing over and over and over for the beginning guitarist-turned-bassist. Some other 'basically the same thing' songs: Play That Funky Music, I Feel Good.

All My Lovin', Pride and Joy -- Walk it.

Money -- Because everyone will suggest it.

Longview -- Not sure why I enjoy this line so much.

Stuff that Surprised Me: Some Michael Jackson stuff. Never really been a fan, but I've always been a singer first, and I'm a baritone... never came up. But some fun stuff to play here. (Smooth Criminal is my current 'get things going' practice song)

3. LowGrowl

LowGrowl

Jan 20, 2011
    Mexico City
    Hey
    Thanks for the reply...
    Those are cool songs to start with.... however i'm bit more advanced IMO... My search for the groove i've been missing has to do more with style and musicality than performance. And yes! Michael had amazing stuff on the low side

Good luck and welcome to the subzone...