Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do bassists play standing up?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by After Forever, Apr 21, 2003.

1. After Forever

After Forever Banned

Feb 27, 2003
    Detroit area
    Yeah for real. It's so much easier playing while i'm sitting down. I started play guitar back in october and bass back in january, according to others i got rather good pretty fast. Well anyways yesterday i got bored and decided to play while standing up. I didn't think anything of it really but when i tried i soon realized i cannot play like this at all. I can not even play something simple, i feel all wierd and awkward, and i sound like hell. On bass i can slap really good while sitting down, but when i'm standing i can't do it at all. Whats the deal with this? Any advice?

2. Maybe it's your strap...

or maybe you need to practice standing up...

how many bassists you see sitting down on stage?

-Jon:oops:

3. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    well, it takes some getting used to at first, but it is how everyone performs on stage. you just have to train your fingers to know where the strings are, using only the side dots as a referance, or not looking at all.

I never found it that hard to do at first....and now I try to practice that way all the time, so I don't get used to it in a way I wouldn't use on stage.

4. After Forever

After Forever Banned

Feb 27, 2003
    Detroit area
    I'm not in a band and will probably never will be. I just wanna get good because i have nothing better to do and things such as TV and videogames bore the hell out of me.

It's not so much that i can't get the fingers in the right play, it's my reach feels all wierd, i can't play chords or slide up and down the neck like i can when i'm sitting down. And when i slap it sounds all muffeled and awful like i don't know how too.

5. It's called practice. Rome wasn't built in a day. You say you just started playing bass in January? It takes some time to get used to standing up. For some, it takes only a few times. For others, it may take months or longer. Give it some time. Keep trying to play standing up, and you'll get used to it.

6. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I think that if you start forcing yourself to practice standing up more, up will get better and eventually be able to slap or doing anything you want while standing up.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I wear my bass pretty high and to me it's no difference whether I'm sitting or standing.

Adjust your strap so your bass doesn't move when you sit down or get up.
    It may also depend on your bass too though (neck-heavy?).

8. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Try adjusting your strap so that the Bass is at the same height and angle when you are standing.
    You might even try sitting in front of a mirror to notice how you hold the bass while you are sitting.
    Then try standing (in front of the mirror) and adjust your strap so that the bass is in the same position when sitting.
    Also note your hand positions while sitting and try to duplicate those standing.

9. After Forever

After Forever Banned

Feb 27, 2003
    Detroit area
    thanks, i'll give it a shot, i mean whats the worst that can happen?

10. Well, Your strap holder could break off and have your bass head smash against the desk then fall on your foot causing you to fall backwards down the set of stairs in front of your room. Thats the worst that could happen.

11. kato_kaylin

kato_kaylin

Jan 14, 2003
    i've had the same problem when i started out, and i know this might sound a little bit cheesy and all but you just have to feel the strings and know where you are and where you are going to go next on the fretboard. And Yes, it takes practice:bassist:

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The question is not "how many?"

[​IMG]

The question is who*.;)

Seriously, it's all about what works for you. What, uh, Osama said is true, though. Maybe you need a better strap.

*That's Anthony Jackson, by the way.

13. If I were AJ, I'd seriously consider investing in a sturdier chair. Those resin jobs aren't meant to hold someone his size (I know!).

14. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Amen!

15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    But he lost some weight, on newer fotos he's slimmer.

16. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i was about to chime in with an anthony jackson comment, but i see someone beat me to it. i don't think the fodera AJ bass even comes with strap buttons.

17. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I'm with JMX on this one...

18. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea took me a little practice, but I was in a band pretty much a week after I started playing so it wasn't a huge deal for me.

19. what kind of bass do you play after forever??~??

- w00t

20. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I want you all to know that if you do like a mad libs type thing with this thread, where every time you see the words play or practice or any form of the words play or practice - replace it with the word pee or peeing - well, it's just hilarious frickin reading. Okay, that's all - you may have your thread back. As you were.