Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do Carvins compare? (bb75)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tuomas, Feb 21, 2001.

1. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    For some reason, I feel like getting a new bass right now.
    I was thinking about investing more or less 1000$ for this project and
    the Carvin Bunny Brunel 5 string with a humbucker looks pretty good to me.
    It's just that I've never played carvins and only thing I know is that they're well-built,
    but not how they play and sound. So I was thinking that how do they compare with other
    basses I'm used to playing like stingrays and fenders? This bass would replace my Stingray 5
    because for some odd reason, I find no pleasure in slapping it (and I have 2 of those 4 strings
    in reserve) so the carvin would be used in funk-rock and occasional jazzgig. Thanks in advance.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Tuomas- Well, since you have several Stingrays and Fenders, personally, I wouldn't get the Carvin and would try to get something that is very different sounding from what you already have.

I took delivery of an LB75 which has all the possible options except the personalized truss rod cover. I got it not only because I wanted a 5, but I was getting tired of switching back and forth between my Precision and my Rick 4001. The Carvin is very versatile and works for me, but I don't have all those basses that you do. It is the same as the BB75 except for a couple of minor things such as a little bit narrower neck and body. IMO opinion, the Carvin will give you pretty much the same sounds you are already capable of achieving.