How do Carvins compare? (bb75)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tuomas, Feb 21, 2001.

1. Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    For some reason, I feel like getting a new bass right now.
    I was thinking about investing more or less 1000$ for this project and
    the Carvin Bunny Brunel 5 string with a humbucker looks pretty good to me.
    It's just that I've never played carvins and only thing I know is that they're well-built,
    but not how they play and sound. So I was thinking that how do they compare with other
    basses I'm used to playing like stingrays and fenders? This bass would replace my Stingray 5
    because for some odd reason, I find no pleasure in slapping it (and I have 2 of those 4 strings
    in reserve) so the carvin would be used in funk-rock and occasional jazzgig. Thanks in advance.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Tuomas- Well, since you have several Stingrays and Fenders, personally, I wouldn't get the Carvin and would try to get something that is very different sounding from what you already have.

I took delivery of an LB75 which has all the possible options except the personalized truss rod cover. I got it not only because I wanted a 5, but I was getting tired of switching back and forth between my Precision and my Rick 4001. The Carvin is very versatile and works for me, but I don't have all those basses that you do. It is the same as the BB75 except for a couple of minor things such as a little bit narrower neck and body. IMO opinion, the Carvin will give you pretty much the same sounds you are already capable of achieving.