How Do Cirrus compare to Fender Delux Jazz (US)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sk8terguy316, May 5, 2005.

Peavey Cirrus or Fender AM Jazz DLX

Poll closed May 10, 2005.
  1. Peavey Cirrus

66 vote(s)
  2. Fender AMerican Jazz Delux

78 vote(s)
  1. I have played The Peavey Cirrus and not te Fender AM Delux jAZ and I was Just wondering What do you think would be better for me I play Rock (and blues and jazz) and I want to know would you rather a Peavey Cirrus or Fender Jazz

How are the necks

Thank you
  2. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Those are two very different sounding instruments. It really depends on what type of Rock, Blues, Jazz you are playing with the Cirrus. For Rock, I've used it in my rock groups and it cuts through the mix really well. It doesn't have the traditional fender sound though. It is more in the Smith Family of tone. I actually had a person come up from behind me in a store while playing my Cirrus and ask me if that was a Ken Smith. Anyway, I know a lot of death metal guys use the Cirrus, in Otep and Lamb of God or something like that. I'm not a big death metal person, but people use them sort of like how people in that genre will use EMG pickups a lot of times. They have a similar vibe, although I think the Cirrus' VFL pickups are smoother than EMGs. I've had 3 Cirri in the past and thought they worked really well for Rock, Jazz, Blues, all of which I played with the Cirrus at the time. Wonderful basses, but my gripe with them was in their string spacing.

I think the more traditional choice here is definitely the American Deluxe Fender Jazz. Probably 7 out of 10 guys you see out there are playing either a Fender Jazz or P-Bass in rock groups, or some clone of one. Myself sort of included with my Sadowsky, but I'd hardly say that can be compared to a fender :D .

It really depends on what you like to hear in your tones and the feel of your basses. I don't think you could have picked two more different basses. They sound different, feel different, their construction method is different (Neck-Thru, vs Bolt-On), the amount of frets is different, the materials most likely will be different. You just got to figure out the bassics of what you want and come fishing for the details from us goons on Talkbass.
    Good Luck man. :)
  3. Yea you see I didnt know I like The Fender tone its so big and full and also I like the Feel of Fenders and their neck (mmm mmm) yet I prefer 24 frets and I was just wonderin, but I guess 2 frets loss wont bring down my world
  4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I vote Peavey, but the caveat there is that I'm quite biased.
  5. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I voted jazz, but...
    I would rather both. And I do own both. The Cirrus is a totally different animal than the jazz, and is less suited tone wise to some types of rock. But if you are looking for a way to cut through the mix, the Cirrus does that with ease. For most rock functions, my jazzes get the nod. But the Cirrus makes me reconsider quite a bit. That's why i kkep it around with my siz jazz basses.
  6. [ NG:E ] Asuka

[ NG:E ] Asuka

Apr 8, 2005
    Two VERY different instruments... but I prefer the cirrus...

It just feels soo good.
  7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Cirrus. I've owned a USA P Dlx 5 and the Cirrus toasts it, IMHO. I've played the USA Dlx J's in stores and like them quite a bit, but still not as much as the Cirrus by a pretty fair margin.

Better tone, versatility, playability, looks, and comfort. Just carries the "Peavey baggage" is the only "downside". I'm also a big Fender fan, if that counts for anything. That said, I love my Geddy J and '83 USA P dearly. :)
  8. Very satisfied Cirrus owner chiming in here.

I couldn't agree more with Poon, HollowMan227, jja412 and Asuka. (BTW, nice post, Poon :cool: )

I'd like to add that once you get past tone, the Cirrus is much more comfortable to play than a Jazz, and the neck profile is the most comfortable that I've played.

As for tone, the Cirrus will give you a very convincing P-bass tone when you solo the neck pup, but after you start turning the blend knob the Cirrus moves into the modern hi-fi world. It won't give you the classic Jaco-type Jazz burping sound, but that never bothered me.

The Cirrus is very versatile, but I'd say its tone is even more unlike a Jazz bass, than a Stingray's tone is unlike a Jazz bass.

I've played both basses, but not side-by-side.

I can't wait to try one of the new bolt-on neck Cirri. If it has the Cirrus tone plus the Jazz burp, heaven will have arrived. :)

I vote for the Cirrus, but you also can't go wrong with the Jazz.

Good luck. ;)

9. The funny thing is ive always been into 24 fretters too, but when you think about it, do you ever use your 24th or nearly as high frets while playing? I know i definetly dont, and i cant imagine anyone else would, the sound gets so (i dont know what adjective to use correctly for this but ill try) hollow that they are barely usable least on my basses.
  10. I love my USA dlx J, cant say much for the Peavey Cirrus, never tried one. On the note about frets, even though the J has 22 frets, i think i ever really use the 21st fret on about 1 or 2 songs, and unless i'm just messing around i never really even touch the 22nd fret. Its still useful to have though.
  11. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    They dont compare

Fender J all the way!
  12. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    For me, I do go up high, but very rarely for the points you made. HOWEVER, I find accessing frets 12-18 MUCH easier on a 24 fret bass, and I DO use those pretty regularly. For example, it's kinda' tough to do an E7 (1-3-7) chord up high on a 21-22 fret bass, but darn easy on a 24. I love that sound over a low ringing E like when ending a blues tune, too.
  13. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I also agree that chording up high is much easier on a 24 than a 22. I've also played both basses you're talking about extensively, and I think for rock/blues I'd go with the Deluxe Jazz. It's a killer bass, and that's saying a lot considering I'm usually the last person you'll find preaching up a Fender. I absolutely LOVE the Cirrus though, and have several times considered getting one but I just can't bring myself to go away from my Warwicks. If you're looking for a punchy modern tone that'll cut through absolutely ANY mix, I highly recommend the Cirrus. And the cool thing about those is that you can go to the website and design your own.

Just my 2 cents.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

These are both good basses, but very different. One is neck through, the other bolt on. One has modern sounding humbuckers, the other is more traditional sounding.

I assume you are looking at a 4 stringer?

The Cirrus is more versatile and IMHO a better instrument than the Fender, but not by much.
  15. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I would say regarding sound it is apples to oranges. In terms of constuction quality Peavey takes it hands down.
    I think you will get a better bass out of Peavey.
  16. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003

+ 1 Peavey is a notch above the Fender....
  17. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I've owned both (at the same time) and always grabbed the Peavey for blues, funk/soul oriented stuff and jazz and the Amer J for rock. The Peavey had a "darker" tone while the J I owned was very bright. they're both great instruments but if I had to choose between the two again I would take the Cirrus. I liked its overall construction, fret work and versatility just a bit more than the J.