Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do Czech Spectors compare to American Spectors????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PICK, Feb 9, 2002.

1. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I recently got a hold of the Spector catalogue and noticed that there isnt really much differance between the two. The only differences i could find were the country of origin, preamp and fretboard material. I found the price differance to be rather large and now am considering getting a Czech NS-4.

Would this be a good idea or should i spend stupid amounts of money to get an American model???

2. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I just read on the Spector site that they have upgraded the electronics from an EMG preamp to a Aguilar Preamp!!!! AWESOME!!! I really want one now!!

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Hey Pick, I feel that the Czech basses are just as good quality wise, sound wise & playability wise. I currently own 2 USA Spectors & have owned 2 other's & I have owned about 5 Czech basses.

The USA's, IMO, do sound better & the necks feel better. The grade of maple bodies is alot nicer but the Czechs are AWESOME also.

Iv'e said this befor & I'll say it again. I would not buy a new USA Spector again. If I were to buy new, it would be a Czech. The only way I'd buy a USA is if I got it used @ a price close to the Czech models.

4. The USA's sound just a tad warmer and the Czechs sound a tad brighter. When I say a tad I mean just that. You'd have to listen real, real closely to hear the difference. I own 3 Czech because they are definitely more than worth the money. I would highly recommend that you buy one (or 2 or 3)! It will be the best investment you ever made!!!

5. ok a slight spin on this one. how are the korean spectors? how do they stack up to the czechs? How about to similar priced instruments like kingstons and MIM Jazz ( namey 5 stringers)

6. The neck through Spector NS-2000 basses are the best among the Korean made Spectors. They are very good basses but I wouldn't put them in the same category as the USA or Czech Spectors. The NS-2000's body shapes is a bit different and the electronics and harware are of lesser grade than the pricier Spectors. IMO, the NS-2000 has a tighter B string than the Kingston and features an active preamp where as the Kingston is all passive. The NS-2000 is far superior in quality compared to the MIM Fender.

7. Hey PICK,
    There was an exact same thread on this about a month or so ago. If you do a search for keyword then you can bring it up.
    ~Ad

8. John Bufo

John Bufo

Jan 14, 2002
    Salem, NH
    Is it possible to get a new Czech Spector without gold hardware or the crown inlays? I love the playability and sound of Spectors, but they just look too ornate for my tastes. I've seen older Czech models with black hardware and dot inlays, but I haven't seen any new models like that. I must say, these basses are an excellent deal. I've played USA and Czech side by side in stores, and there was hardly a noticeable difference. If they didn't look so damn gaudy I'd buy one.

9. You're in luck! Go to www.musiciansfriend.com , they have some brand new, left over 1999 models that are solid black with dot inlays. Again, they are brand new 5 strings for $999!!!

10. Oops, I just checked the site and the solid black basses appear to be sold out. However, there are some solid red Spectors left (the red is nice, not gaudy or cheesy for that matter, great quality) and it is still $999 for a brand new 5er!

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You could get the Bolt on Czech bass called the Re Bob. It has black hardware & dot inlays!!!! Much less expensive then the NT Czechs. Also the USA bolt on's have blach hardware & dot inlays & cost about as much as the Czech NT's.