Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do de-fretted squiers feel and sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frankencow150, Jan 28, 2002.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    In March(or sooner),I am going to buy my fender jazz.I have like 230 right now,and I'm going to sell my korg multi-effects pedal,but im not sure if i want to defret my squier,or sell it so i can get the mim faster.Anybody ever defretted a squier or played one before?I want to know if they have good sound defretted and how they play.

2. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    That brings up a question I've had: Will a good fretted bass always make a good fretless bass?

3. Not always. A good fretless bass is a completely different beast that a good fretted.

I think in general though, a good fretted bass will make an even better fretless one :D

Of course, I don't like those darned frets anyway. :D

FF

4. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    That's what I wanted to hear!

5. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Is a squier worth defrettin anyway?

6. it may be. the quality of squiers varies quite a bit due to the lack of quality control.

7. I played one (a defretted squire P bass) as my one and only bass for years before the truss rod snapped violently on me while playing. Might have been the massive flatwound strings i was using at the time. Hd a massive tone. Think big. No, bigger. Keep thinking. The tone on that sweet bass just filled a room. You didn't hear it so much as feel it in the chest. Suprisingly musical for all that. I can't tell you how much I loved that bass, or how much I cried when the rod snapped.

Anyway, if its not your primary instrument, and you don't really ever want to sell it, defret it. There are lots of resources on the net to help you, including many many many many threads here on defretting basses.

Long live fretless, the way bass was meant to be! (oh, come on fret-guys, its just a joke.)

FF

8. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    that raises another question:

Are Squiers good basses?

9. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    I wasn't talking about this particular bass, just basses in general. Like if you have a good fretted Fender, and you defret it, will it be a good fretless. Is it all in the defretting, or is there something else that makes a good fretless?

10. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i would assume that there is more to a fretless than just taking out frets, but i have heard of defretting stories where the bass sounded amazing...

it really depends on the bass. just b/c its a good fretted doesnt mean its a good fretless. no one can argue that a spector is a good fretted bass, but i cant imagine the fretless sound to be anything more than OK

11. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Ive never played a squire i liked...:rolleyes:

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:rolleyes:

13. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    I just defretted my old hamer slammer! it made the bass completly new again. Im not sure if i advise you to buy a squire and defrett it unless you already owned it. You should save up your money to get a better one. But damn, it was a lot of fun defretting it and the bass is very sweet now for what it is.

14. I'm toying with the idea of defretting my epiphone eb-3 .. just in case you wanted to know. But i dont know crap abut fretlesses nor can i offer you any advice;)

15. if it's a Squier, then go ahead and do some major surgery, unless that is your only bass.

I defretted mine...it sounds like crap...but at least i have experience in defretting a bass!

i personally think fretless p-basses sound horrible, and if it's a Squier P-bass...then you can't go right!

16. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    The only reason i would de-fret a squier was if the guts were torn out and replaced and squier was sanded off the headstock:D but if your going to acutally do it then in the words of Rafterman do some major surgery

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:rolleyes: Play the name game. What is important is what brand is on your headstock. :rolleyes: It's also important that the bass look good, especially that it matches your outfit. :rolleyes: Playability and tone do not matter. :rolleyes:

What matters most is what is on the headstock.

18. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The ONLY difference between a fretted Fender and a fretless Fender is the presence/absence of frets. They use the same hardware, woods, bodies, PUs, etc.

Ninety percent of what makes a good fretless is setup and technique.

I do agree that there are certain basses that wouldn't make great fretlesses, but Fender are fine.

Chas

19. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Thanks Chasarms, that helped out alot.

20. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    now thats fightin dirty;) ...but when the electronics are replaced then it really isnt a squier anymore...:rolleyes: