Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do fender p's sound for walking?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PeaveyTNT, Aug 7, 2002.

1. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    I played with this guy across the street the other day... And this was the 1st time I had talked to him... I had seen him play a few times when I was going to my games but ay ways... He really got me into walking and slap bass within the 1st ten minutes of talkin to him... Before this, I was sold on a fender P... but now I'm not sure that would be the right bass... I only wanted the fender p cause my band is basicly all punk so i didint wanna waste my money on a good frettles or something... now im thinking about Warwicks and those Washburn RB 2002's... and this peavey at the local music store that has been there 4 ever and a day for the past 3 years... graphite neeck and all... it is an odd color... black with glitter so people think it is ugly.. i think it is sorta secksy:p ... but... what do u guys suggest since im suddenly swinging towards a more jazzy/ red hot chili peppers bass style? rickenbacker? those look awsome... but do they sound awsome?

2. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    In my opinion P's will work for anything. Warwick's are really nice though, don't know about Rickenbackers.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I agree with ndjx - an American Precis (that's the only P's I've owned) will let you cover a lot of styles. So will American Jazzes. There's not a lot of room between the strings and the body compared to a lot of basses, so you might make sure that doesn't bother you.

I have an old Rick 4001, too (it's like a 4003). It has a huge bottom, crystal clear high end......very scooped sound.
    If you want mids, it's not a good choice. But you will sound very different from about everyone except other Rick players. If you can, try one out, just to hear their unique sound.

4. OneLuvIbanez

OneLuvIbanez Guest

Jul 28, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If you can afford it, go with a Warwick, I find they are EXTREAMLY versitile.
    If you dont feel like Spending alot for something dependable, Fenders arent a bad choice, I use that right now, I'm in a punk and heavy Metal band, both of which I need a VERY reliable bass for.
    Peavey's are also nice, similar to Fenders IMHO. A Passive P-Bass will do wonders, and I find are very versitile, Get some flat wound strings on it, and its nice for slap also. Like I said though thats just my opinion, and my experiance.

IF you have the money for it, My suggestion would be a

Warwick Jazzman 2002 LTD.
    [​IMG]

Just came out, and are EXTREAMLY nice.

Thats my wet dream right there.

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i say buy a memphis. i have a memhpis. they rule

6. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    That is a cool looking warwick... but something that i could play if i got tired of jazz or slap and could use with punk so GOD FORBID i dont laughed out of th punk community...Does anyone play a Washburn RB 2002?

7. OneLuvIbanez

OneLuvIbanez Guest

Jul 28, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Warwick Infinity SN
    [​IMG]

Fender Stu Hamm Urge II
    [​IMG]

The Washburns are pretty nice too, But if I was to go for one Id Prolly go for the RB 2502, MI31NB, or ABT Force 5.

8. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    i'm anti artist series:( dont know why

9. OneLuvIbanez

OneLuvIbanez Guest

Jul 28, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I dunno, some artist series Basses arent so bad, I like the Stu Hamm Series though, Fender did a good job I think.

At least its not a Warlock.

10. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    Hey, warlocks are awsome if rigged properly;).................................... I'm thinking I'll get that graphite neck peavey bass... i think it is secksy... sounds secksy.... ya... it is a 900$ bass...they have had it so long...they will give it to me for 400$ with case:rolleyes:

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That would be a Peavey G-Bass. That is a fantastic instrument. If you like it and the price is right, buy it! Personally I would prefer the G-Bass to anything else that's been discussed here (by a very wide margin). Of course, everyone has their own preferences, and I wouldn't impose mine on anyone. The G-Bass is discontinued, so you won't find them easily.

Then you could join in on all the Peavey bass praise threads. (doesn't it seem that every Peavey bass thread turns into a praise thread?;))
    :eek: RUN, DON'T WALK TO BUY THAT BASS!!!! If you don't buy it give me the number of the store so I can!!! :p

aside: this is how I got my Palaedium in 1995 new with case for $520. Originally a $900 near top of the line Peavey bass. The bass is unbelievable, I really love it. Fantastic, and a bargain and a half.

12. does anyone have pictures of peavey G-basses? i've thought about posting a thread on this, because i have many questions about them...and if you guys think that i shouldnt go the off the topic route here i can move this question into its own thread.

but one of my friend was given a peavey bass and he's had this thing for at least 5 years. he doesnt really play bass anymore and it's sorta been sitting around at his house. i've tried finding information on it, but can never find anything. it's got an incredible tone, graphite neck, a finish very much so like the one PeaveyTNT described, a sparkly gray. is it a Gbass? i can try to take pictures of his if it'd help you classify it.

Joel

13. fender p's are no good for walking.

....they dont have any legs

:p

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    How are Fender P's for walking? Dig up some old blues, country, and R&B tunes, and you tell us. ;)

15. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey, you can't hold back the truth! The truth will set you free! The truth is like gold! Peavey is the truth? :D ;)

16. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    :D

When I read the thread title, I scratched my head.

Sort of had a "Is water good if you are thirsty?" kind of air to it.

17. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    IMHO...I play Precisions *almost* exclusively. I find that relatively high action (regardless of flats or rounds) gives me what I want...and when walking what I want is to sound as much like an upright as I can.

I Imagine this would work and any decent make of bass.

If sustain is working against what you hear try various muting devices. I've used the original Fender bridge cover mute, rawhide, pieces of inner tube under the fender cover ( a trombonist who worked with Motown acts told me this was what Jamerson used) ...let your imagine be your guide. Ultimately I would rather not use a mute outside of the studio...to much loss of volume..and so it's string height and GROOVE that get the work done.

18. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA

ya right... I'm gonna go down there... and play the sucka for an hour atleast... to see if i really like it...