Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Do I Achieve This Tone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by idlematerial, Jan 6, 2005.

1. idlematerial

idlematerial

Jan 6, 2005
    hey, i'm new here and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on achieving a fatter bass sound? ie. breaking benjamin, nickelback, 3 days grace.

i play a nemesis 115 and a fender p-bass. can i achieve this tone with an overdrive? if so which overdrive do you recommend?

thanks
    clint

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id expect you to already have a fat sound with a precision bass. Overdrive will add dirt to your tone, maybe increase its presence a little. Its hard to know what you mean by 'fatter', since different people may think of it differently.

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Remember that what you are hearing is a bass that has been mixed into (hopefully) the right level and sonic "space" on the album during the recording process. That differs greatly from the sound you here when playing through an amp in your own bedroom standing 2 feet from the speaker. It will also sound different from what you here standing 20 feet from your speaker.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Wrong forum - seems to be moving towards an effects thread, so off it goes.