Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I achieve this Walnut Color?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rubo, Nov 23, 2004.

1. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Hi, I saw this bass on Ebay it has very cool looking Walnut color. How do I achieve this effect. Is this actual Walnut paint or finish. I saw some other Fenders on Ebay with description saying that Walnut Poly was applied, but they didn't look close to this , much brighter. Also assuming it's some kind of finish, how many coats it will take to get this dark. Also will it look differently on Alder body then Ash?

Here are the pictures.

http://tinypic.com/nfcld

http://tinypic.com/nfclt

Cheers

2. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    Similar in color to a bass I made, not exact though:

[​IMG]

Walnut body stained with "Black Mahogany" #100-2185 alchohol based dye stain from Chem-Craft I think it's called, then two coats of 25% sheen lacquer.

Another thing, I got the stain from my old work (furniture finisher) and we found shooting the stain on gave a much darker (like your picture) and much less blochy look, as apposed to wiping on the stain (as I did with my bass).

Don't know if this will help.

BTW that thing is hot!

3. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Walnut by itself is much darker wood, so your won't work, plus you can see the finish is darker then yours and its on a brighter alder.

4. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    hmmm...I like this. Can we see some pics of the front of it please?

To answer your questionI looks like a walknut wood with a cherry stain in it (perhaps some sort of cherry oil finish).

5. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I know that it's ash body stained with something?

6. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    More pics here. There are links to pics of it's construction at the very bottom, too.

7. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I was thinking it looked like cherry stain on walnut. I achieved similar results on a piece of myrtle burl with Danish oil with cherry stain in it.

8. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Cherry stain is that separate product, or is it mixed with Danish oil and sold as one bottle? I was thinking maybe Oil based translucent paint.

9. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I think it was a premix.