1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do I adjust a dual truss rod bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Poop-Loops, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    First of all, I know how to adjust a normal truss rod. Please don't give me the "take it to a tech" lecture. I know the dangers.

Secondly, When I took off the truss rod cover on the bass, it only had one place to put the allen wrench in, but I can plainly see the other rod. I thought maybe I need to adjust it from the other side, so I took off the neck and there is no opening or anything on the other side, except for a 5th smaller hole at the bottom where the neck screws in, but I can't tell what's there.

So I have no idea what to do.

EDIT: After some digging, I found that it looks like a Stew Mac Hotrod truss rod...?

So I guess adjusting it does it to both rods at the same time?

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    With a Ric they are both adjustable via nuts at the headstock end of things.

That being said, it can be a bit tricky. You have to be careful not to get one so tight that the other is loose.

That's pretty much all the wisdom I have to impart.

Good luck!

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Any help is appreciated, thanks. :)

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I put some new strings on as I was adjusting it, so I have no idea what happened. I'll let everything settle and see where it is and where I need to go.

One thing, though, it was VERY easy to turn the ummm nut? on the truss rod. Usually I have to put some (not a lot, but some) force into it, but here it was very easy... I don't know if I have to make more turns for it to tighten or what, which is what I'll have to figure out once I start playing with it some more.