Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Do I Adjust The String Spacing On A Hipshot A Bridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've never tried doing it before, and there's no instructions on the Hipshot site. Could someone let me know? Thanks.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    There are 3 screws on top of the saddle, 2 for string height adjustment and one that tightens the spacing adjustment. Loosen that screw with a (I think) a 1/16 allen key. If the strings are on the bass, you can move the string (close to the saddle) to where you want it and then tighten the screw.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks a lot, Nino- I'll try that now :)

4. Hi Nino, thanks for the info. I did try that and when I want to retitghten the screw, the saddle goes to its initial place. Do you have any tips?

Thanks

5. It's just a set screw, not an adjustment screw. While you have the moveable part of the saddle where you want it, tighten down the set screw to hold the new string spacing in place.

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yeah, it kinda develops a "memory spot". The set screw grabs the saddle like a worm gear and will drive it back into its near-original position. Here's a couple of tricks:

*Slide the saddle past its intended target position, then re-tighten.

*Adjust with the string in place and tuned to pitch. Grab the string at the saddle level to stabilize while re-tightening. This sometimes works. The aforementioned "overshoot" technique is better.

Riis

Ballin'bass likes this.