1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How Do I Adjust The String Spacing On A Hipshot A Bridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've never tried doing it before, and there's no instructions on the Hipshot site. Could someone let me know? Thanks.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    There are 3 screws on top of the saddle, 2 for string height adjustment and one that tightens the spacing adjustment. Loosen that screw with a (I think) a 1/16 allen key. If the strings are on the bass, you can move the string (close to the saddle) to where you want it and then tighten the screw.

prd004 and norbusser like this.
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks a lot, Nino- I'll try that now :)

4. Hi Nino, thanks for the info. I did try that and when I want to retitghten the screw, the saddle goes to its initial place. Do you have any tips?

Thanks

5. It's just a set screw, not an adjustment screw. While you have the moveable part of the saddle where you want it, tighten down the set screw to hold the new string spacing in place.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yeah, it kinda develops a "memory spot". The set screw grabs the saddle like a worm gear and will drive it back into its near-original position. Here's a couple of tricks:

*Slide the saddle past its intended target position, then re-tighten.

*Adjust with the string in place and tuned to pitch. Grab the string at the saddle level to stabilize while re-tightening. This sometimes works. The aforementioned "overshoot" technique is better.

Riis

Dug2, norbusser and Ballin'bass like this.
  7. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    the "memory spot" issue is happening to me on my roscoe. ill try these tips and report back.
    thx btw

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    You can also rotate the barrel saddle or flip it 180 deg to move the memory spot. Good luck with the project.

Riis

Dug2 likes this.
  9. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    First line up the string where you want it by using the set screw, then tune up the string to pitch, then go back to the set screw and turn it back, then measure the edge gap and re-adjust again, then do the G string and find out you re-adjusted the E too far, then go back and forth from the E and G until the edge distance matches up, but also remember to measure the entire distance from E to G and divide by three, then do the inner strings to this new measurement (don't forget to tune strings to pitch!). Total time spent should be no more than 7 1/2 hours.

Repeat this process when changing strings.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    NoiseNinja, omardottcom and Dug2 like this.
  10. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    awesome info guys! thank you

11. omardottcom

omardottcom

Feb 1, 2004
    Caguas, PR
    LOL!!!!!

12. omardottcom

omardottcom

Feb 1, 2004
    Caguas, PR
    So how tight and wide of a spacing will this bridge allow?
    My bass is 17.5mm... I'm looking at another bass that has this bridge and it 18.5mm. Can I take it down to 18mm? don't think I can go above 18mm, too much space. I feel like I can park an old Cadillac in 19mm spacing.

13. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Sounds like those Hipshot guys might be in for a bass gear design award of the century for their brilliantly awesome work.

I'm beginning to understand why these bridges are so popular, it's like a bass bridge and a Rubrik's Cube all in one.

Just pure genius!

zortation likes this.
  14. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    They are the epitome of "over-engineering".

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    My impression of Hipshot bridges is not that they are over-engineered, they're actually pretty simple to use while allowing the main adjustments a bass will typically need.

As mentioned, there are a couple of simple methods to use when adjusting string spacing. You can either put enough pressure on it with the string before tightening or compensate for the movement of the bar by initially setting it farther to the right.

16. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    With a Hipshot A saddle, I always just hold the insert where I want it when I'm tightening it down. I've never had a problem doing it that way.

17. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I get that. I just don't get the point of adjustable spacing in general. It seems like too much hassle.

18. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It takes about, I don't know, 17 seconds maybe to adjust a string's spacing. If the player wants to move a string it seems the hassle is worth it.

Brad Johnson likes this.
  19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

Really? IF you'd be more comfortable with one spacing over another, would you rather:

1. Have the ability to adjust it on that bass
    2. Suck it up and deal with what's not perfect for you or
    3. Get another bass

It would seem that #1 is the least amount of hassle. And adjusting the space is simple, takes little time and is reversal.

Are you assuming more hassle than that?