1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How Do I Attach 3 Ampeg Cabs to my B2RE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Baird6869, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Hi folks,

I am buying another 2x10 used Ampeg Cab primarily as a practice cab to be left at home and/or left at one of my drummer's places. I just hate lugging cabs around 3x a week.

Anyways, I have a few large outdoor gigs coming up and I would be interested in understanding if there is any way to hook up 3 cabs (two Ampeg 2x10 and one Ampeg 1x15) to my Ampeg B2RE head.

My current setup is as follows:

- Currently one 2x10 and one 1x15 cab is attached to the 2 speaker ports on my B2RE.

- I run a Bass PodXT directly into the Effects Return on my B2RE.

- I also run a few effect pedals - Boss Chorus Ensemble (which has a stereo option). MXR 10 band EQ and MXR auto Q.

A 2 cab config is perfect for indoor gigs, but it would be great to be able to use the 3 cabs together provided I didn't need to buy anything else.

Thanks!

2. I understand lugging can be a bitch sometimes, but with heavy duty castors all youd have to do is lift into a car, and out of a car for the most part and roll it the rest. Maybe you should look into a 410.

3. Baird6869

I drive a convertable and a 410 just doesn't fit in the back seat. Also, the 2x10 is wrecking my leather seats as the trunk size is a joke.

4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    It can probably be done, but it won't be simple. It'll involve putting at least two of those cabs in series; if all three are in parallel, they will present a load that the amp can't handle (below 4 ohms).

What are the impedances of the cabs?

5. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Sell the car before you tear it up and get something you can haul your cabs in.

6. Baird6869

See my wife's Mustang? No thanks. I like being alive!:D

7. Baird6869

That question made me slap my head as I should have been able to answer my own question.

The head is 250W at 8ohms (450 at 4) and the cabs have impedance of 8ohms and are 250W RMS with a 500W peak.

So using my math, I would assume 2 x 8ohms cabs are fine as that would be 4ohms but adding the 3rd (if even physically possible) would lower to 2ohms which is bad. Correct?

Still interested in seeing how this could be done on the cheap.

8. 2.6 but its still bad

9. excellent site: http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/index.html

with a series patch box for the two 2x10's, each at 8 ohms in series together will equal 16 ohms. this is one amp output jack. the other amp output jack will be your 1x15 at 8 ohms
    all together will be 5.3 ohms.

of course mathematically it's beautiful, but ive never used this sort of set up, so im not quite sure how it'll sound, but i think it'd be a-okay.

10. Baird6869

Looks like exactly what I need. I wonder how two 2x10 and one 1x15 with this product will sound vs. a 4x10 and a 1x15?:meh:

11. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    the SPEAKERMATE Model 5 is exactly what you're looking for to run three 8ohm cabs. i'm using one while running two Avatar NEO 4ohm cabs, 210-212 with a LMII head, & it sounds HUGE.

you could even run a fourth 8ohm cab safely if you wanted to.

12. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The B2RE is not good to 2, and yes, going to the 2.6 is bad.

That unit is an "economy version" and won't take as much user abuse in terms of non-spec loads as some other Ampeg units.

I don't particularly care for the "Speakermate" type stuff, What they are selling is convenience in hookup. But what they CAN'T sell is violating the laws of physics. The power doesn't necessarily split up the way it looks, and if it DOES, then you are wasting some power.

Personally, I think you ought to just take the 2 2x 10 and stack them. You'll do fine.

Part of the trouble with crazy speaker setups is that the speakers are all different sensitivities, so they don't necessarily add up sound-wise the way it looks.

With 2 identical 2x10 cabs, you would be good to go, and it's easier to carry than 1 4x10, even if you have to make more trips.

13. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    What's the ohmage on those bad boys

disregard - didn't read the thread :)

Yeah, I wouldn't hook these up, stick with either 4x10 or 2x10 & 1X15

14. Bryan316

Bryan316 Inactive

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Upgrade the amp. I used to have the B2RE and it was such a limiting, restricted amp.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021