1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do I be more 'groovy'?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Aug 26, 2007.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    you know after one of my recent jam sessions with my band, my guitarist told me that I can use more groove. He says that I sound reasonably tight with the band but when doin my solos i can use some groove...

for example the solo in cake's i will survive, I dont sound 100% the same as in the record. The tone is definitely not the same, and I think the timing in which I mute the notes is not the same either....

any other tips? Ill post a clip of me playin when I hav time I guess

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I think there are lots of components involved in "grooving", but one of the most important in my opinion is the proper use of "dead" notes. This is a great book to work on that.

3. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    yes....dead notes.....and also you need to swing ...and this will only come with time or a session with a guy who knows!!

essentially you have to relax....slop it up a bit.

4. By dead notes do you guys mean mutes or choked out notes before or after the note played on the same fret? Because that's what I was going to suggest.

*edit* listen to some sabbath or grateful dead. Your ears may not tell you the notes (not sure how good of a player you are) but they should tell you about what they're doing to sound like the do.

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

If I understand you well, I was talking about mutes. Choked notes are known as "ghost notes", which are also important.

6. Thank you for that, I thought they were pretty much the same thing, when I said or in that sentence it wasn't as a differentiation, 'and' probably would have been a more appropriate word.

7. I know this is for guitar, but it's a lesson we could ALL use.

8. In my opinion, groove is just something that is learned through listening. Your not going to get a book on how to groove, or start adding "ghost notes" and/or "muted notes" and become a groove master. Granted, I am not saying these things have nothing to do with a groove, but just adding them into your playing won't make you groove. I suggest you listen to players and how they lock in. Namely funk and/or RnB. Because often times as a bass player you're expected to hold a groove and make everything danceable, and RnB, Funk is the king of dance. Even some modern Rap and hip hop have some pretty "groovy" bass lines.

Listen to people like James Brown,Stevie Wonder,Marvin Gaye,EW&F,Headhunters,Temptations,Parliament, and even some D'Angelo and stuff.

Even if you don't like that style and you are a rock guy at heart the groove will enhance your rock also. Some of the most successfull modern rock bands have great grooves: Red Hot CHili Peppers and The Dave Matthews Band come to mind.

Well Good luck and have fun, Listening to this music will enhance your playing in many was and greatly increase your rythmic variety and sense of time. :bassist:

9. BetterBottomEnd

BetterBottomEnd <- Not me I just like looking at her

Jan 9, 2007
    Cable Wi
    Turn off your brain. Just play.

10. Etbass

Etbass

Apr 26, 2007
    Cooranbong, NSW
    Try learning a groovy groove. Try this if you can't think of anything else.
    http://www.lucaspickford.com/transcoast.htm

That's Jaco, and possibly the hottest groove ever grooved. This got me a great feel for where to put in mute notes, slides, and 7ths, and chromatics - I reckon those are the key to a good groove.

11. Vegiehead

Vegiehead

Jan 23, 2006
    Find a local band that plays good funk music.Then watch the bass player carefully, note i said watch listen with your eyes not your ears at this stage. Get the feel of what his doing.

Then get your hands on some sheet music that is groovy...For gods sake dont use TAB it explains very little about groove and time.

Then practice practice. :bassist:

Best of luck

Vegie

12. This might be a little out there but it can help.

Smoke weed...

13. Just J

Just J Guest

Jul 27, 2007
    lol, that actually comes into what this guy said:

It's certainly easier to get into what you're playing stoned, but I wouldn't recommend it as a learning tool. :p