Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Do I Boil My Strings??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by A Rock, Mar 6, 2002.

1. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    I own an ibanez btb 500 w/ bass boomers strings.
    ive noticed that after playing a song with a lot of sliding...my fretting fingers get a little black. Also some of the "ping" is gone. I dont wanna spend money on new strings...can some one tell me how to go about boiling my strings??

2. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    ok i checked old threads about boiling strings....now i wanna know about just using alcohol and wiping em with cloth. Do i need to take the strings off for this method...and do i need to take the strings off? and How effective is this method?

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You don't have to, but it's a lot easier and safer for the bass finish if you do.

I can use my strings up to a year that way and they still have that Wootenesque snap.

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I keep a few of those alcohol wipes in the case that nurses use to wipe your arm before and after a shot.

I just open one up, loosen the string and wrap it around. A couple of passes up and down and you are done.

I do this about once a week to keep the strings bright. I only keep strings on the bass about eight weeks at the most.

Chas

5. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Bass boomers are nickel coated. The blackness is caused by the nickel coating coming off. The strings are basically stuffed buy new ones. You have left it too long to start boiling them. Thats my opinion anyway.

6. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Ah, try boiling 'em anyway... can't hurt. Nickel rounds IMO are the ones that stand boiling the best.

Get a regular sized, say 4-quart pan, fill it about halfway with water. Put in a good squirt or two of dishwashing liquid, and bring it to a boil. Wind all of the strings together into a loop a bit smaller than the pan, and drop 'em in. Be ready to turn down the heat -- it usually foams up when you first drop 'em in, if it hasn't already.

Then use a non-metallic (wood is the best) spoon to flip them over a couple of times, total boiling 3 or 4 minutes. Rinse them off with hot water and dry them immediately.

Lemme know how they do. They will not stay fresh as long as new strings, but you can boil them quite a few times before they give up the ghost.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Alcohol works better and doesn't kill the strings.

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    or you could use ghs fast fret

9. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I just boiled mine and they sound sweet!

10. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Yeah, but it costs a lot more and it stinks... :p

11. I broke a string a few months ago and was too lazy to put the whole new set on, so i only changed the broken one . Recently i decided to change the rest of the strings, since i didnt have a complete set i put all the new strings on and just boiled the used one in only water for 2 minutes and it sounds as good as the rest of them.
    -Skip

12. don't be cheap...buy new strings. if you strat boilling them they mey sound ok but just deterierate quicker.

13. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    I don't care what anyone says- boiling works! If you play all the time, and gig a lot, strings get expensive. De-natured alcohol works well, but is more expensive, and more toxic than water. I use both techniques- which ever is available- but don't just throw out your strings, it's like tossing cash in the dumpster!

14. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Read this method that mchildree posted in another thread, it works.