Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how do i bridge a guitar amp please help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bbarnumboy, May 11, 2004.

1. bbarnumboy

bbarnumboy

May 11, 2004
    i do not know how to bridge a amp. and i hear u can get way more power, what do i have to do and what do i need anyone know?

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    You need a bass, a bass amp and a shift in your musical direction! :p

Seriously, though - your amp must actually be "bridgeable" in order for your to be able to bridge it. It should be pretty explicit on the back of the amp as to whether or not it's actually bridgeable.

Basically, it's a matter of bridging the two internal amps in order to get the highest possible output. You have to be extremely careful that you have a speaker cab that can handle it, however.

What kind of amp is it?

3. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Oh, and I'm guessing that this belings in "Amps".

4. bbarnumboy

bbarnumboy

May 11, 2004
    kewl well i have to go thnx, and one more question bridging bridges the outputs together to make one right?

5. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Basically, yes - it bridges the amps.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That would be my guess also. Moved.

7. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Speaking of guitars, I've had a question that I've been dying to ask, but I've never found a place for it. Does anyone know of a professional guitarist forum... something similar to this one? I've tried a number of forums, and I've yet to find one half as nice as here. Perhaps bassists really are cooler and there's not hope in sight? :crying: ;)

8. Doh! Why do you think we all picked up the bass guitar? :D :p

9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, let's be very careful with vocabulary. What the guitar players sometimes call "bridging" is actually "channel jumping", it's not bridging the outputs together like on a bass amp. The vocabulary is a little fuzzy sometimes. Those darn guitar players...

So, just wanted to make sure we're talking about the right thing. "Bridging" in bass-speak means cross-connecting the two outputs of a stereo (or two-channel) power amplifier, to achieve more power. But sometimes in guitar-speak, it means jumpering the two channels on the input of the amp, with a short patch cable.