How do I change my preamp tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by E-rock, Apr 27, 2004.

1. E-rock

Mar 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I have a Hartke 3500 head that I bought about 12 years ago. I've never changed the preamp tubes in it, and it's not sounding all that great anymore. Is it very difficult to change those on my own? Anyone know what size tubes those would be? :confused:
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Most likely just standard 12ax7 preamp tubes. They should pull straight up and out of the socket. Try not to touch the new tubes with your bare hands - keep the finger oils off the tube - use a thin towel or soft napkin around the tube, then gently press it into place. Its that easy.

I suggest you check into a 5751 tube as a replacement, cheap, and lower gain, warmer tone. But to each his own . . .
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Like Eric wrote. Sometimes it helps to gently rock the tube in a circle while removing it.

When you're replacing it, make sure that you line the pins up properly (there is a wide gap at one point between pins that you must match up with the socket).

You might ask the guys at Triode Electronics in Chicago if they have any recommendations on a tube for the Hartke.