Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how do i change strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by warped, Nov 22, 2001.

1. warped

warped

Jul 24, 2000
    hi, i got a used double bass, and wanted to change the strings... but i don't know how.. is it similar to changing strings on a electric bass? is there a website with pictures and instructions?
    any help would be great, thanks

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Check the string instructions to see if they tell you not to cut off the excess- some strings can become unwound.

Change one at a time; you don't want to remove the tension from the bridge/bass belly or the sound post may fall.

Lubricate the slots on the bridge and the nut with graphite (pencil lead). As you tighten the string keep an eye on the bridge; it may cause it to move towards the fingerboard, and you want it to be perfectly perpendicular to the front of the bass, or it may warp and fall.

3. For best access to the tuning pegs, change the strings in this order: E,G,A,D

I recommend that you measure the string length from nut to bridge and write it down (!) before you start. Also, with a very soft pencil and a ruler, draw lines to mark the bass where the bridge feet should be before you start. When you're done, you can see if you have moved or tilted the bridge.