How do I clean a bass that reeks of cigarette smoke?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by psi, Jan 23, 2009.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    If you have any stoner friends, lend them the bass and have them smoke ganja around it. It'll kill any odor and the smell of the ganja itself fades pretty quickly. I'm not joking. I used it to get rid of cigarette stink in a car before I sold it. I was pretty happy since I domed out my car, and they were none the wiser. (I had non-smoking friends smell check it, they didn't smell anything)

If you don't have stoner friends:

Well first off, take whatever case it came with and stash it somewhere till summer so you can air it out and febreeze it.

Next take off the strings and go over the entire bass with Meguier's finishing stuff. (Fender has an entire cleaning kit of their stuff you can order on MF. It works great)

Put on new strings and do a set up. Voila, good as new.

2. DaRK_CaRNiVaL

DaRK_CaRNiVaL

Sep 13, 2005
    Australia
    I had this problem with a couple of basses, keeping the bass on a stand as you would normally for a while was pretty much all it needed and this bass had only a very thin poly.. the gig bag well that took a bit longer as it absorbed much more great smell so I aired that outside for a while and washed it. Soon I either got used to the smell or it dissapeared :p

3. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Wow! Thanks to everyone for all the tips! Didn't expect this to garner so many responses.

I just smelled the inside of the case and it definitely reeks as well. Maybe I'm reinfecting the bass everytime I put it away? Will try airing it out and the windex /vinegar combo.

Thanks again.

4. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Put it in a closet with an ionizer running in it. This will kill most odors on anything in a few days or so without any damage.

5. Godfather

Godfather

Feb 4, 2001
    be VERY careful with Febreeze...

I had a really nice mid 90's Lone Star Strat that came with a hard shell case that smelled gross.....I sprayed it out with Febreeze, repeated several times, then left it for several weeks open to be certain that it had TOTALLY dried out....put the guitar back in the case.....several months later, took out the guitar and the clear coat over the sunburst was pitted all over the guitar....

6. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Good call. If you have or have access to a real air scrubber, that would work a lot better than a consumer-type air purifier.

7. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I use an edenpure g7, but even an ionic breeze or the like if it is in a small enough area will do the trick.

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Air it out and air the case/bag out, and then treat it with febreeze.

Although really, you'll never truely get rid of that smell.

9. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Inactive

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    [​IMG]

10. sean.1986

sean.1986

Feb 24, 2009
    Essex, England
    Tried Febreze?

11. Pour beer all over it!
    Fishheadjoe

12. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    better smoke than weed, god I hate that.

13. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa

OK, thats funny!!!:D

Take the bass apart; the strings, pickguard etc. and wipe down the entire bass including the fingerboard with orange cleaning solution. Change the strings and clean the back of the pickguard as well. (assuming it has a PG)

14. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    try wiping down the bass with naptha. it will remove any built up grime or residue, won't hurt the finish or metal parts and it dries very quickly. maybe some woolite with oxy on the case? good luck!

15. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Sprinkle some "carpet-fresh" in the case an vacuum it out after a few minutes.
    Clean the bass with lemon-oil.

16. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    :p
    FightClub12.jpg

17. +1

18. bassanddrums

bassanddrums

Nov 28, 2008
    Sweat on it, I spent a week last summer in a smokey bar for a band camp and came out smelling like an ash tray. It no longer smells.

19. David S

David S

Apr 4, 2004
    Charcoal in the case will absorb smell. A brickett or two should do the trick, close them in the case for a couple of days. If you BBQ with LP, your stuff should stink, not just your bass!

baking soda will also- good trick for cars is to buy a box, use a pencil to poke holes in the face of the box, and lay it on its back under the seat.

20. Bleach is a good disinfectant.Vinegar is a mild acid that is not meant to come in contact with certain materials.Ozone can damage any rubber:gaskets ect...as well as damage metal.In any odor remediation,ozone is a last resort.
    There is many ways to safely remove a malodor . Go online and look up the Thornell corporation,they have a product named Odorcide 210,that can be used on any material with out harm.

My day job is running a cleaning & restoration co. We do anything from urine contamination removal to trauma remediation (suicide/natural death scene clean up) That product has not let me down at all.
    Even at home where my 3 dogs and one cat, I mean my research & development staff keep me busy:they all bring us trophy's!

thornell.com-you can buy online or look for a distributor close to you

Another great/safe product is bac-out from bi-o-kleen. Alot of kroger grocery stores carry there stuff. bi-o-kleen.com