1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do I clean a scratchy input

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkySpoo, Oct 11, 2010.

1. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I have a Demeter VTBP-201s and the active input is scratchy. Is there a spray? How do I go about cleaning it?

Thanks

2. I watched a guy take a small piece of fine wet/dry sandpaper and roll it into a tight tube-shape - making sure it was over a couple of inches long, kinda like a skinny cigarette, and insert it into the offending jack/port and just twist it a few times.

He told me - and I've experienced this myself - that some 1/4" jacks have a gold-colored coating on them that can flake off and corrupt the connection.

3. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    The go to is usually Deoxit spray and a 1/4 inch plug.

4. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Thanks Surfer. I'll give it a try.

Vic, Where is a good place to get that stuff? Radio Shack?

5. Big chicken

Big chicken

May 25, 2010
    In Space
    i use raidio shack electronics cleaner

6. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Online, possibly Guitar Center. I got a can at a local guitar shop. You don't want to use the Radio Shack cleaner/lubricant because it leaves behind a residue meant for lubricating pots.

7. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Got the Deoxit spray. Do I just squirt into the input or open the pre amp up and spray the input from there or squirt some on the jack and plug and unplug a bunch of times? Sorry for the stupid questions but I'm just not a do it yourself kinda guy.

Thanks
    Rick

8. jbassbob

jbassbob

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID
    yep, spray a little on the jack and plug and unplug it a few times. Wipe the jack with a paper towel and repeat.

9. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Thanks. I'll try that

10. slick_tu

slick_tu

Sep 19, 2006
    South Jersey
    CRC QD Electronic Cleaner, 11 oz. spray about $6-$8 is good. CRC Lectra-Motive, 19 oz. spray about $4-$6 is also great, but doesn't dry as quickly. Neither leaves any lubricant/residue behind, and both are safe for plastics. Just read a recommendation on another thread to use a bore cleaning brush for a .22 cal. rifle along with a contact cleaner. DeoxIT is good but expensive.