Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I clean a speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nate22, Jun 5, 2004.

1. nate22

nate22

May 5, 2004
    I just bought an 8x10 Peavey cab, and the speakers are very dirty/grimy. What can I use(safely) on the cones?

Your help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Nate

(yes, I removed the other thread)

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Anything wet might damage the paper cones. I'd suggest trying a can or two of compressed air, or perhaps a vacuum cleaner with a soft brush attachment.

3. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Go to PartsExpress.com and look for a product called Wet Look. Not only will it help clean your speakers, it will help protect your paper cones from the elements, etc.

4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I use a soft nylon paint brush

5. nate22

nate22

May 5, 2004
    Cool..I just bought it. Have anyone ever used it? I get the impression it's a gloss of sorts...this will help clean too?

6. Now your responsible for a review! :D

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'm curious for a review as well. I've shyed away from the stuff in the past, as I "assumed" that putting any type of coating, gloss or otherwise, on the surface of the speaker would affect its vibration and hence, sound quality.

Review, please!

8. nate22

nate22

May 5, 2004
    I've got an old non working 15" sub lying around somewhere..I'll give it a whirl and let you guys know how it turns out. Is there a special forum for reviews?

9. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Well, I've spoken with Parts Express before about it and they said it would be fine to use it as directed. Using it on a foam surround is NOT a good idea as it will eat it away. Bad thing! BUT...using it on the paper cone should help it alot without coloring the sound since it is so light. All it should do is protect the cone and clean it up in the process. If you have any questions whatsoever, Parts Express is EXTREMELY helpful with any questions they can answer. Super awesome customer service.

10. nate22

nate22

May 5, 2004
    just s/w partsexpress...

they told me that it's not a cleaner....it's acrylic based, and you coat the speaker and it hardens "like rock"....

anybody know any cleaning products?

11. Dry paintbrush or small whisk broom. Nothing more is needed. Speakers are for listening to, not looking at. :D

Chris

12. nate22

nate22

May 5, 2004
    Welp, I wish I could show you a pic...can someone host it for me? If so, hook me up w/ an email addy and I'll send right away.

The friggin speaks have WHITE MOLD(I'm guessing that's what it is) on them....

13. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    You can get a round brush attachment for your vac cleaner that is made out of horse hair instead of plastic at a vac cleaner repair shop. No vac manufacturer includes them with a vac cause they cost much more than the standard. I think around 15 dollars.

Tim99.