Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how do i clean speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassdementia, Aug 11, 2001.

1. what products can be used to clean your speaker(s). i.e.: dust bunnies and lint from surrounding carpet and such. can something like dust-off work or something as simple as a rag work?

2. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I recommend a fire hose at full blast. ;) Just kidding. You mean the speaker cones? I've cleaned lint off with a damp rag, but had to be *very* careful. You might try a moderate level of compressed air, if you have access to it. If you use a damp rag, exert almost no pressure, and wait until the cone fully dries before using it again. That's all I know. (I posted primarily because of my occasional need to be a wise guy.)

If you mean the carpeting covering the cabinet... I don't know, a lint brush might work - never tried it myself, though.
    - Mike

3. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Here's the two methods that I've used in the past, but this by no means says that these will work for you. Take off the speaker grill and simply use a vacuum cleaner to clean off the cones. Now obviously, you don't want to touch the cones with the vacuum's nozzel - which I didn't because any good vacuum should have enough suction to clean the cone without sucking the cone onto the nozzel itself. Overall, it worked great for me with no problems whatsoever. I have also used the slighty damp (as in very slightly damp) cloth method, though again, you've gotta be careful on those cones. Anyway, that's my 2 cents and that's what has worked well for me.

4. thanks, ill try these methods. thanks, friends.:D

5. Here's what I do: I use a small paintbrush, 1/2 in or so - the ones you use for water based acrylic paint. They're much softer, and yes, there's actually a special type of brush for that kind of paint.

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I use my Vacuum Cleaner.

7. Air duster for computer components. Paper Towel. Nothin to special.

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I stick the bruch attachment on the end of the shopvac. Works great to clean the cones.

You can also turn the amp up as loud as it can possible perform and blow all of the dust out and rattle the lint off!!!