Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how do i connect a combo to an amp/cab??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jan 12, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    My quest to put together an ultralight rig continues...

Okay my goal is to connect an swr st-220/ampeg pb-110 rig to a gk microbass to use on gigs.

this would give me 320 watts with both a 10" and a 12"

What is the best way to do it?

I have a cheapo 2 channel radio shack mixer. Could i just plug my bass into the mixer and run both amps off the mixer as well?

Or could i skip the mixer and use the gk mb as a slave to the swr 220 and get sound and full power out of both amps' speakers?

thanks!

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes the mixer will work. Yes the slave plan will work if the SWR has a line out. Try them both and use whichever sounds best.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    aaack
    dont use the radio shack mixer. it should destroy your tone.
    you can either use the line out of the swr or the effects send to send a line to the 2nd amp. the other option is to send a "nonaffected" signal to the 2nd amp by sending a line from the swr's tuner out to the 2nd amp's input.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    and either of these options will give me the full 320 watts power AND come thru both speakers??

5. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I know the line out will. I'm not sure about the effects loop but I think so. I have no idea about the tuner out.

6. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yes they all will

7. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Is that just for this particular amp or for all amps?

8. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    swr amps have soem of the best connectivity out there but more and more amps are stepping up. with most amps the effects send is post eq (it is pre eq on eden and alembic). as long as you dont plug anything into the effects return the original amp still gets the preamp signal to the poweramp.
    tuner outs are generally after one gain stage (or after none) so they tend to be very transparent and great as feeds to other amps.