1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do I connect a head to a power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Psychosis, Apr 12, 2006.

1. I'm saving up for a Ampeg SVP-CL, and I'm gonna use a QSC RMX 1450 with it. I just found out that they have used QSC in a music store nearby, so I'm picking it up next week. I currently have a Hartke 3500 head so I'm planning on adding the power amp to it to have more headroom, but I have no idea how to do it. So please tell me how to do it, and what cables I need?

2. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    To connect the QSC to your head, you will need a line out level output on your head, and connect it to the line in in your QSC. There are many possible line out therms from your head, it could be line out, direct out, send, etc...., However, some of these outputs may be effected by your volume controls end eq, and some not (ie post or pre EQ). Do not ever use speaker out, external speaker out, or any outputs with watts or ohms. If you are not sure about this, you really should bring your head to the store and let the salesman (qualified), help you with your setup, as you may need a splitter for inputs on the QSC if you drive it with seperate channels, or if you want to bridge it. It is NOT verry complicated, you just need a little knowledge of signal path.

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Head pre-amp out -> Power amp in.

DO NOT USE: Speaker out -> Power amp in. Bad things will happen.

Like yamaha said. If you aren't sure, ask a qualified technician.

4. I'm going to run it mono bridged. So do you think it will be okay if I connect it to "Direct Out"?

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Manuals online.

6. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Check your manual, as direct out is probably a pre-eq line output. This means that when you change your equalizer settings on your head, the speaker powered by the QSC will not change tone, only the one connected directly to your head. Direct out is often a Direct box output to feed to the house console. This is not necessarily bad, just make sure that the speaker powered by the QSC sounds good in a flat EQ setting. Also, to run a QSC in mono bridged (I haven't worked with QSC, mostly Crown and, guess what... Yamaha), but it is probable that your speaker connection will either have to be bare wire, or bannana plugs, as some speaker level outputs ; 1/4 inch TSR's and Speakon connectors, work only in stereo configuration.

7. Okay, but there's a switch that switches between "Pre Direct Out" and "Post Direct Out". And it says in the manual that if i have the post direct out switch depressed the signal will be routed to direct out jack after all compression and eq circuitry (both ten band EQ and Coutour). So it should work. But thanks for the answers!

8. Also consider the effects send on this amp. This will keep the DI available for other things, and you'll still get post-EQ functionality.