Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do i convert wma into mp3's

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by UrbanAssault415, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Im planning on getting myself a gift soon either 17in. chrome amg rims for my car, a used fretless warwick, or an ipod.
    I found out they dont play wma and half my music on my computer is wma. Is there a way to convert them into mp3's. I dont want to get a diffrent player cuz ipods the best. If there isnt an esay way i guess i got to get one of the other two. :hyper:

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
  3. Theres tons of different ways to convert, google it . . .

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=convert+wma+to+mp3&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

And iPods are by no means the best at all, iRiver players are much better, more reliable, better battery (one that doesnt die after a year), they use a standard USB cable, show up like a harddrive so you just drag and drop the files instead of using apples crappy programs, and they also play wma's

4. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    As much as I am an Apple/Mac fan, I gotta say +1 on the iRiver. It plays more formats, can record stereo WAV files, and in general is a much better unit for the money. Of course, I got mine stupid cheap at BestBuy when they were blowing them out for the newer models.

5. I'd have to go with the Iriver too. It's just more versitile and has better audio quality than an Ipod.

Hey Marcus, your avatar is bashing it's head in time with Radiohead's "Black Star".

6. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    LOL! I never checked that out...just stole it from the BSG bulletin board.

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Nothing is easier to use than an iPod. It is this simplicity that the also rans can never get quite right. My iPod is 2 years old and has been to Iraq and several other countries and still going strong (albeit a little beat up). I can also use it as a hard drive and use Apple's SUPERIOR software program (sorry but iTunes is one of the reasons people get iPods). Did I mention that it can also convert wmas?

8. Its simpler? thats a lie, you dont need to use any programs with the iRiver, iTunes is crap and takes ages to transfer songs

Superior software? how is it superior? it takes longer to do the same thing, so, it aint superior

I'll also add that the iRiver is great for recording with, we do it all the time at band practice, the aux out, and can record as a wav or as an mp3 (various bitrates availible), you can probably do this with the iPod too, but i thought i would through that into the fray too

A friend of mine has had to have his iPod replaced twice, the first one just wouldnt hold charge anymore (battery problem everyone heard about), he got it back, and about a month later the screen died aswell, they sent him out a newer model that seems to be working fine so far, i'll also add i find the iPods menu/control system annoying, far to sensitive

9. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I guess I can't argue with reasoning that hinges on "iPod is crap".

You win. :smug:

10. I dont see how it is simpler if you have to use something else that is more complex and slower, that is all :p

11. What version of itunes is this? My friend said when he got his ipod, he had to re-rip songs to his computer cuz it was wma's. He just got the new ipod video(which i want to get) after he traded in his ipod mini. And the iriver do they have the same suport from third party companies for car stereos. When i get a new car in 2-3 years(ya im plaining ahead) I wana wire my mp3 player to the deck so i can change songs threw there w/best sound clarity.

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    iTunes converts wma into mp3. It doesn't convert mp3 into wma, nor does it officially support wma, but it does convert it. iTunes converts most popular formats into most other popular formats, I've always found it a little humorous when PC users fret over how to convert files, arguments ensue over 10 different programs that all do the same thing... Welp. The Point is iTunes is a good program that does a lot.

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I just wanted to post to clarify a few blatantly misleading statements from your post.

Firewire > USB 2.0, for sustained data transfer Firewire almost always beats USB 2.0 by a large margin. That said, for short data 'bursts' USB 2.0 often BARELY inches out over firewire. Unfortunately, despite using a better transfer medium initially, Apple has been forced to switch to standard USB 2.0 in an attempt to simplify things and make the unit more PC-user friendly.

Additionally, iPods show up like hard drives and you can drag and drop files(including songs for storage) without touching iTunes.

the iRiver's battery is no different from the iPods, they are both lithium-ion and are both susceptible to the same issues as one another, whether or not the iRiver will consistently provide a better charge is debatable and anecdotes will get no where.

iTunes is by no measure a 'crappy' program. Ever since Musicmatch fell apart, windows mp3 players have paled in comparison to what iTunes can do built in. I can never believe how many DIFFERENT programs my friends use to accomplish the BASIC functionality of iTunes. THAT SAID. iTunes for windows is inferior to iTunes for OS X. Apple did a good job porting it, but there is only so much they can do to make a good program run well on a subpar operating system.