1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do I covert my bass to BEAD?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by paulcharlie, Feb 17, 2008.

1. paulcharlie

paulcharlie

Feb 17, 2008
    Perhaps "convert" is not the correct word, but you know what I mean! :)

I am buying a Gibson Thunderbird IV, and would like to know what I need to do to make it work. Is it fairly simple? I know the nut has to be set up for it, but do I file it or buy a new one?

Also, I am wondering if the pickups are designed to "pickup" notes that low... Thanks in advance for the help, guys!

2. bassnug47

bassnug47

Oct 7, 2007
    Birmingham AL
    life is good, Dead is better
    all i did on my fender was change the strings and adjust the truss rod, didnt even have to file the nut

3. ReidoT

ReidoT

Sep 9, 2007
    i just filed my nut and adjusted the truss rod and it sounds great on my MIM jazz

4. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    The pickups should work no matter how you string it. Adjusting the truss rod and maybe getting a new nut/filing the one on there should do the trick.

5. jakusx

jakusx

Nov 11, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale
    i dropped the new strings on my Pbass, turned the trussrod and walla. Then I turned my rod back, it was fine before.

6. I don't know about you guys, but I altered my nut. My technique/plus specifications demand I have razor thin action. I shaved and shaped my nut to accommodate new strings. If I had the money to pay someone to do it, I would, because it's not fun.

7. Buy a new one if you can. If you want to switch back in the future (can't imagine why you would), it will be nice to have the original nut lying around waiting for you.

When I switched over, I actually had to widen my saddle too. Whoever designed it thought it would be a good idea if the saddles were designed not to take a string over .105 or so.

8. ain't that the truth. I had to buy a BA bridge just so I could get my .130 B on my bass.

9. Drucocu

Drucocu

Jan 24, 2007
    haha, yeah its fairly simple! you wouldn't believe it, but its true!
    I had'n tany files for the saddle handy, so I used the new strings (!!!) to file the nut!!!
    absolutely perfect, and the right gauge, haha!
    My 57' Precision RI smokes in BEAD !

10. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Or you could have bought tapered strings instead. :meh:

11. I play with a heavy hand, I would've torn up those strings

12. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Most definitely get a new nut - a .130 (or what ever your B is) should stand off the fret board significantly higher than a .105 (or what ever your E is).