How do I deal with this guy?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by TarHeel31533, May 19, 2003.

1. Ok here's the deal. Last fall my combo (trumpet/piano/bass - we need a drummer) picked up a guitarist. We knew him a little and he could play so we thought why not. And for a while things went well. But lately things aren't going as well. This guy is very enthuiastic and loves (or should I say has no life other than) music. So he starts this thing where he's playing other people's instruments. Mostly piano, but my bass too. He picks things up quickly and had already played piano so it gets to the point where he is constantly playing piano-more than guitar, and he’s pretty good. Now our piano player is understandbly very annoyed by this. And it gets worse. Last week at a gig the piano player's bro is playing one tune w/us on guitar and the guitarist literally pulls my bass out of my hands. (He wasn't playing because the piano player's bro was using his guitar) Then when I take it back he moves on to try to get on the piano. Basically he's been doin a lot of **** like this and now he wants to take piano lessons from the piano player's teacher, who is worried he'll lose his spot in a school jazz band next year because of all this. Now all this would be a problem by itself but there's more. When we play together he's very critical. He always gets way into in own thing and plays these weird out of place patterns and chords, obviously not listening, then he tells us we need to listen and adjust to him. You're not the bandleader buddy! Sorry for the long post, but my question is simple. How do I deal with him? I don’t nesscarrily want to kick him out, but I have to do something!!!
  2. Wish him a successful and productive solo career, and don't let him come within 25 feet of your gigs.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Kick him out. That is the "Jerk-rockstar-I'm better than you" syndrome. Tell him, honestly, that you don't dig the disrespect, and you want him to realize that he is a part of a band, and is soon on his way to not being a part of it. I'll never tolerate that crap, even if it was my best friend.
  4. Yeah that's looking like a real good option right now, but I know he can contribute well just how do I get it out of him? It's just that I don't want to do something drastic right away and pay for it later. (By the way, when I say "I" I really mean myself and the rest of the band)
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Just like I said, Just tell him that you don't dig the disrepesct. Tell him that you like what he can do, but that each of you has a job. And he is stepping on the toes of everybody in the band. Just tell him that, and he should get the idea. If he continues to cause problems, then off he goes.
  6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I'd try this:
    The next time he tries to jump on piano, or bass or whatever - I would say: "Hey Joe, we've been meaning to talk to you about something - we hired you to play guitar and we like your guitar playing, but it gets on our nerves when you start playing our instruments - we can play our own instruments. Could you please stick to playing guitar and not waste everyones time playing our instruments." He may laugh, thinking your joking. Reassure him that you are not "Joe, I'm dead serious here - In this group I play bass and Bob plays piano...can you please stick to playing guitar" If he gets angry about that or is not able to cease and desist with the multi-instrumentalist wanna-be thing, two words: your fired.
  7. Yeah, I agree, that is way out of line for him to grab your bass out of your hands, that's ridiculous. This guy is going to keep on testing your limits and going farther and farther with his schtick until you either put your foot down or you've renamed your band "The (insert his name here) Project."

Really one of two things is going to happen when you confront him:
    1) He'll get p----d off and leave the band, which means that he wasn't going to be happy playing one instrument and you're both better off.
    2) He'll be humbled and embarassed and come back to Earth and stick with his own instrument.

You can't lose man...THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE!!
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Straplocks with small padlocks? ;)
  9. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Has he tried drums? He could become a drummer (solving your need for a drummer) and you could arrange for him to playing in a lockable drum cage to prevent him fiddling with the other instruments... :D

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Kick him in the nuts.

Then kick him out.
  11. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Resistance is futile.

You will be assimilated.
  12. That's what I was thinking, give him a drumset!
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, you could be subtle about it - so like "me and the guys have noticed how you like playing different instruments, so as what we realy need is a drummer, we hired this drum kit for you - now you can play 4 or 5 things at once and show us how good you are - kick,snare, hi-hat, cymbals, toms etc.!!" ;)
  14. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I don't know - seems to me he's the type that might think the song would sound "better" with triplet tom roll fills at the end of every phrase. Yuck.
  15. If you like the guy, sit him down with the band and tell him straight up. Eye to eye.
    Back in my days of youth I had quite an ego and thought I knew what was best for everybody in the band. One day they all sat me down looked me in the eye and said "dude, we love you but we'll have to let you go if you can't reel it in" I was initially hurt but soon realized that they were right and I was behaving poorly and that they really cared enough about me to address it head on. My respect for them and they for me increased 10 fold.
    Of course I had them all killed and had their bodies ground up for chuck!
  16. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I really think it would be best if you would just tell him not to play your instruments, and make sure he knows you are serious. If he still does it, then you should ask him to leave the band.
  17. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well.. It worked for The Who, didn't it? :D
  18. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Not exactly sure what you should do, but whatever it is, it should probably involve this guy's rectum.
  19. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Sounds like he is a bit over-enthusiastic. You don't say that he's obnoxious. If you like his musicianship and want to keep him ( just not these annoying habits) sit him down and instead of telling him he's doing this wrong and that wrong, tell him how it makes you feel. Put him in your shoes and ask him what he would do if he was in your position. If he can't or won't get the hint, then asking him to move on will be easier. If he is a reasonable person, he should be able to figure it out.

This is,IMO, great advice, BTW.