1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do i do this?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by nikman, Dec 17, 2006.

1. nikman

nikman

Dec 17, 2006
    Im kinda new to bass, and i was wondering to to get my bass to sound like the one from mudvayne or even less claypool. Is it a matter of tuning down your strings, or is it an aftermarket petal or something. Thanks a lot.

2. Ten Four One

Ten Four One

Dec 5, 2006
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Martinie

Looks like they play "slap" style, and they play either detuned or on 5 string basses. Without buying a new bass, I'd say learn to play slap & detune your bass.

Slap is when you hit the lower strings with your thumb, and pluck the higher strings with one of your other fingers. If you want to see this technique up close, check out the master.

3. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    You're not going to get an easy solution, and no pedal is going to help you. Their tones are the result of a combination of their technique and the gear they use (basses and amps.) You may need to downtune just to play some of the basslines they play, but I wouldn't know if it will get their sound. Your best bet is to try and mimic their playing techniques and messing with the EQ.