Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I do this?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by brandonwhite, Jan 7, 2002.

1. brandonwhite

brandonwhite

Jan 2, 2002
    AR
    Maybe I'm just a moron but I have a question for you guys about something that everyone else probably knows how to do. When I buy strings to put on my ergodyne, I can't figure out how to do it. So I take it to my local music store and they put it on for me. BUT, when I get it back, where the strings get close to the pegs, they put this black stuff on it and it seems to make it work better. When I buy the strings, that stuff isn't with it. What do I do to get that. (I hope you guys understand what I'm talking about).

2. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    i really dont have a clue what u mean :confused: !
    Um....maybe u mean the string wraps?...silk wrap around the strings once they go thru the nut? cos if that is there, then i think they put on completely different strings....this is not usually bought seperately, usually comes with the strings.

3. JOhnk

JOhnk

Mar 31, 2001
    burlington, vt
    if you mean the string wraps.. and i can't imagine what else you would mean.. then you shouldn't worry. they aren't neccessary. some strings have them, some don't.

I'm thinking that your just not buying the same kind of strings that they put on. did you ask 'em?

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000