how do i dull down my new strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by chief ten beers, Jan 31, 2005.

1. chief ten beers

chief ten beers

Jan 4, 2005
    I just bought some brand new strings and they sound way too bright.aside from playing the hell out of them for a year,how do i dullen these things up to a nice thud?
  2. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Get your hands greasy -if they're aren't already-, rub vigorously on strings; repeat.

That's what I do, at least
  3. JonTheBassGuy

Dec 12, 2004
    Tune them sharp than set them back so it stretches the strings. Normally gets rid of that new string bright sound. Or play the hell out of them, takes some patience. Hope it helps.

I find it funny thats theres another thread on this same page on how to keep the strings bright and another on how to kill the brightness.

4. zcwilkes

zcwilkes Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Barboursville, WV
    That's what I hear Bootsy does.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It wouldnt take a year to dull them out. Maybe 1-2 months of vigorous play.

If you want a dull thud, why not buy flatwounds?
  6. i'm in the same boat. the feel of flats is just not right for me (hey what's good for steve harris is good for anybody right?? :D ). i'm gonna step up to groundwounds i think. i've been in the same predicament cuz i hate bright strings. my playing technique is clanky enough (not fieldy clanky thank you :spit: )....
  7. MtnGoat

May 7, 2000

1-2 months sounds like longer than needed to me--I hear a significant difference after one gig and new strings seem to have lost most of that "new string zing" after 3-4 gigs.
    I guess it depends on what you consider to be bright.
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I was taking what he said as more than the new string zing, i thought he wanted like a thud, that comes from well used strings.
  9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    My tech who does the work on my basses says he knew this guy that would wipe BBQ sauce all over his strings to get them to dull and absolutely swore by it. Personally, I just leave a set of strings on my bass for a while. I sort of like the broken in type of sound.
  10. Mossman

Feb 5, 2005
    If you melt butter in the microwave, then apply to the string withs q-tips, you will get a much less flashy sound. Thats whatever I do when I buy new strings. Be careful though, no one likes a buttered bass :)
  11. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Flatwounds don't really sound like broken in rounds, they sound like flats.