1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do I earn a living playing bass?

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Brian456or10, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Hi Mike,

I know it must seem like an over-generalized question, but do you have any advice for an above average bassist looking for paying gigs? Here's a rundown of my situation...

I've been a part-time player for over 19yrs, and I can play just about anything (within reason) by ear. I've got the BIT version of music theory under my belt, although I know I'll probably need to brush up on it if I want to go pro. While I can simulate many styles, my forte is rock, and I play in a band which I'd like to keep as my main focus. The band makes some money, but not enough to live on. I lost my job as a video editor, and I'm seriously thinking about jumping into the session scene to try and eke out a living doing what I do best -- playing music (I play guitar and piano too).

I'm totally naive about what paying gigs are out there, and how to get them. How far can I get with a great ear and somewhat clunky theory? Where should I start? Should I approach a talent agent? I live near Chicago.

2. you could always sell yr soul and join a cover band? otherwise i'd say just get out there and start playing with people and start chuggin away. if you are an eduacted musician and not a self taught musical moron like myself you can always give lessons privately, there's always $ to be made in that. i know you wanted watt's advice but i thought maybe mine could help.

good luck,

c.