How do I EQ for a Jaco tone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Dec 31, 2005.

1. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I want to get those warm, honky, sounds-like-a-saxophone sounds out of my bass. How should I EQ the amp to do it?
  2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The mid-range and bridge J-pickup is your friend!
  3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
  4. In all the videos of Jaco playing live i've seen, he's always playing around with his EQ, sometimes the the point of horrid feedback. All you need to do is pull out a j-bass, solo the bridge pu at full, and play with agressive right hand technique. Defretting and epoxying wouldn't hurt either.
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

As noted: J-bass with soloed bridge pickup.

It might help to have an amp with parametric or semi-parametric EQ. Boost mids, then dial in the burp you're looking for.
  6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I still don't understand why anybody would want that sound... :eyebrow: :confused:l
  7. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I don't know what everyone's talking about when they tell people to solo the bridge pickup.

I get a tone very reminiscent of Jaco on my fretless jazz by throwing both pickups on full, and rolling back the tone knob. Without the neck pickup, you'll get a really deep, woody tone, not the throaty, burpy tone. That comes in large part from the neck pickup.
  8. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    In addition to soloing the bridge pu on a j-bass, if it's passive roll the tone knob all most off. I can get reasonably close with just that and leave my amp's eq at normal settings.
  9. Means only use the bridge at full.
  10. FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    Alot of Jaco's tone came from his fingers. Play aggresively near the bridge to get those short, staccato burps. I get close to his tone by soloing the bridge pickup and giving my EQ a low-midrange boost. Of course having a fretless bass helps. Also I was reading in an article in this month's Bass Guitar magazine that Jaco actually used roundwound strings on his fretless which I was unaware of.
  11. playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    Hes aware of the meaning, its just that in his opinion, that isnt how to do it.
  12. boomfunk

Jun 6, 2005
    in Guitar World's BassGuitar mag in Jan 2006 theres a feature on Jaco, including his tone ;)
  13. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Yep and it's a great article.. I do a lot of Jaco covers.. and I put the treble low.. bass at 60-70% and mids to 70-80% use roundwounds on a fretless jazz and solo the bridge pup. also use as much "padding" from your finger when attacking the strings. and he uses a lot of dead notes to get that "percolating" (sp) effect.
  14. xafofo

Jul 1, 2005
    in addition to soloing the bridge pickup... play near the bridge! (right over the bridge pickup seems to work well)
  15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Are you sure you dont have your knobs confused? On any bass the neck is a more round tone because there is less tension there, therefore more motion of the string. By the bridge the strings are tighter, creating a tighter response, and in the case of a jazz; growl.

The jaco tone is certainly the bridge pickup solo'd with mids.
  16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Jaco played by the neck too! When he wanted a nice fretless mawahh. :bassist:
  17. Bassdude15

Feb 26, 2013
    I would try the bridge pickup on full, the neck pickup @75%, tone control most of the way down, mids= 8, bass=7, treble=4, and, obviously, rounds on a fretless jazz bass
  18. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
    I agree with this much.
  19. MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Omygod I just saw this awesome music video with these dudes doing a dance routine on treadmills and they were wearing clothes too skinny for their bodies and it's not 2006?
  20. Or you could try the bridge pickup ?!?