1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do i file a patent?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Apr 24, 2010.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I have an idea for making humcancelling pickups but would like to pattent it before posting it. Help needed.

Thx in advance.

2. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    it's easy! Just PM me scans of all your blueprints, send me a copy of your invention, and we'll get started! :)

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    ^:D

4. drteeth

drteeth

Apr 1, 2008
    Leuven, Belgium
  5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    WTH! Its ubber costly!

6. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Woah. Looks like you have to be serious.

7. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    The patent process is controlled by government bureaucrats. You know what to expect. :D

8. Hi.

If that was a surprise to You, you might want to rethink the whole deal.

Do keep in mind that if You have something patented and someone violates your patent, you have to protect it in court. Whether You have the money to do that or not. If You fail to protect Your patent and go bankrupt in the process for example, you lose both the patent and pretty much everything you have.

And BTW, a search in the patent sites will usually reveal with 98% probability that what ever Your invention is, it's either expired or currently patented.

Regards
    Sam

9. drteeth

drteeth

Apr 1, 2008
    Leuven, Belgium
    A patent is expensive for a reason. Without a price, anyone could patent their idea willy-nilly in the hope that someone needs that particular piece of technology in the next 20 years so they can make a profit on that (case in point: you selling your idea to a pedal manufacturer?). The price of a patent discourages this, since now you need to be damn sure of the profitability of you idea before you can patent it.

From another perspective: a patent is essentially a legal monopoly over a limited period of time. It would not be a good idea to have this around without a certain treshold.

10. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I see, maybe i should try to sell my idea to delano for example?

11. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Or seal your pickups so that no one can see (and steal) the design. :)

Edit: I know absolutely nothing about patents.

12. drteeth

drteeth

Apr 1, 2008
    Leuven, Belgium
    I doubt much protecting cases will hold out against the instrument of reverse engineering: the hammer :D

13. Well you know how the saying goes: If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

14. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    Have you built and tested this pickup? Or is it just an idea? If so, I'd start by building a couple of those things and have a couple of trustworthy experienced players give their opinion on them. If you get good feedback from them and maybe got some of those pickups to some serious pros, you'd have a lot leverage when pitching your idea. At the moment, I guess that if you'd contact a pickup maker with an idea for new type of pickup, they'd be more likely to give you a price quote than an offering.

15. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    True!

16. Hi.

That's the most used "theft prevention" technique there is.

And by far the most effective and the least expensive.

While the "reverse engineering with a hammer" sounds like a plan, it seldom yields the desired results.
    Anyone tried to "reverse engineer" an EMG active pickup?

A magnetic pickup was nothing new when it was first "invented", a certain "new" pickup is a modified proximity sensor from automation technology, etc. Neither devalues their impact for our beloved amplified music though.

OTOH the highly praised Gibson PAF pickup wasn't patented at all, and the patent number of the "patented" ones was for something totally different.

Reards
    Sam