Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I find out...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RookieBassist, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Hi, I have a question about my Ibanez bass. I bought it used, its a SR 505, and how do I find out how old the strings are. It was made in 95, and the ends of the strings are wound in a purple thread, making me think the strings came from Ibanez itself. I was thinking maybe if I went ahead and changed the strings it might sound better. I have a pack of nickel roundwounds I can replace the current strings with.

Thanks!

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    just change the strings... if the tone of the current strings is not good... CHANGE THE STRINGS...

3. lol, I wish I was advanced enough to just tell if the tone isnt good enough. I wish this wasnt Christmas, cause then i have to buy presents for my friends and loved ones, instead of going out on a bass shopping spree. Neway...maybe If I am bored enough Ill change them. just to see if they sound better.

4. Well...I changed one of the strings (the D string). It sounds a lot more punchy and bright, compared to the other strings, which sound dull. I might go ahead and replace all of the strings.

5. Replace all of them! If one string sounds different it doesn't really fit in

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Exactly... Maybe that's why they sell 'em in sets :D .

7. Point made Flatwound ;). I guess I'll go ahead and change them all.