How do i fix prett bad chips on my bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by XxElysiumxX, Feb 19, 2010.

1. XxElysiumxX

XxElysiumxX

Feb 19, 2010
    ok so i am trying to fix up my dean razorback bass because im trying to sell it for a string ray bass or a custom 5 string, but i have these pretty gnarly chips on the bass, what are ways to fix it so i can sell it enough to buy the bass i want

here are some pics i took

Attached Files:

2. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    I normally do a re-finish

Give it a good rough up with 60-80 grit, then fill all the chips with a high build easy sand putty of some sort.

Then just sand them back to flatten off the finish, fill any dings and scratches you find at the same time.

Then simply paint over it, do a layer of primer first if the colour is majorly different, but otherwise just make sure you have sufficiently sanded it (no shiny bits) and paint straight over.

Good as new :D

3. Bootzilla

Bootzilla

May 4, 2009
    Just put the words "light relic" in the ad and the price goes up. :ninja:

4. I doubt those few chips will make much difference to the price...really.

5. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    +1

Additionally, any effort you make to cover up these chips will reduce the value of the bass. Leave it alone.

6. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    Yeah, you're on your way to "vintage relic" status. Don't fix it, beat it some more & the price goes up.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    +2

Agreed. Especially if it was done poorly...

8. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    If they really bothered me I'd take a Sharpie and color them in. I did it on a couple of dings on a cheap drum kit. I agree with the other posters - it won't make much difference on how much you get for the bass.

KO

9. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - The Final Frontier.. Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Easiest way IMHO, particularly with black is to by a lacquer burn-in repair stick. Carefully fill the hole. Mask off the surrounding area and then sand down level and then using microfiber finger pads buff up. Finish with a little swirl remover and you should almost be as good as new.

10. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    That is a sound technique.

Another is to perform a superglue drop-fill. Black tinted (buy this, it is too difficult to make) CA glue is dropped on to the damaged area and allowed to harden. The idea is to build it up higher than the surrounding area then scrape, sand, and buff to a seamless finish.

As always, practice on scrap.

11. yeeharacing

yeeharacing

Feb 27, 2009
    I don't mean to hijack your thread but I have a similar question... I purchased an 06 MiM Lefty Fender Jazz and it has a large chip in the finish about the size of two quarters side by side. The bass has a burst finish and the chip is in the black area on the edge of the bass. I really would like to fix it but I'm worried that what ever I do will not match... I'm not beyond a total refinish but I'd rather not do that. The finish is very thick and the chip goes to the wood.

12. dan stanton

dan stanton

Feb 8, 2010
    Use Bondo if it is painted to fill up the chip.Then sand, paint and lacquer.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021