Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I fix this annoying noise

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ninthwondernj, Aug 29, 2005.

1. The annoying noise I'm talking about is I just got a new Geddy Lee and when I plug it into any amp and begin to play I can hear...very loudly may I add...my fingers touching the strings and rubbing the strings and I kno thats not supposed to happen. Now what should I adjust to fix this the amp or the bass knobs?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Loose ground wire. Take off the pickguard and look for a wire attached to the jack that runs into a little hole. The wire runs thru that hole and under the bridge. Somewhere between the two is a ground wire that's not making contact. You might have to solder it back onto the jack. You might have to pull the bridge and look under it.

3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    It sounds like an eq adjustment. How high do you have the treble turned up? Do you have a horn in your bass cab? Turn the horn down and back off the treble.

4. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Yeah I'd say look at the treble. Or even midrange depending on your setup. Also check the knobs on your bass and play with those. Otherwise it might be a ground wire like he said. Good luck!

5. How do you guys know he's not talking about string zing or click from playing with roundwounds? Nothing in his post says anything about buzz, or hum, just "my fingers touching the strings and rubbing the strings" That's my clue.

Maybe a little more info is needed here.

6. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Actually,that is what I am asuming the source is. Technique, strings, bass contrlols and amp my all be playing a part in this. I doubt that it is a ground problem out of the box.

7. No thats not what I mean because I just did a little toying with my bass knobs and it fixed what I was referring to. My technique is just fine good sir :eyebrow:

8. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.

My technique will never be fine, it is always a work in progress. ;)

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Misread the question. Never mind about the ground wire.

10. hmmm..very loud noise... that's really not descriptive enough, I'm afraid...

if it is a loud "popping" sound and you have exposed pole pieces on your pickups, then perhaps your string(s) are touching the pole pieces.

I raised my pups up high on one of my basses and it does this occassionally. Embellisher recommends a couple of coats of clear nail polish on the pole piece to eliminate this...something that I haven't gotten around to doing just yet.

11. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    What "adjusments to your bass knobs" did you make?

No one is insulting your technique, man. The Geddy Lee is a bright bass, and, if it has bright, brand new strings on it, you might just be hearing a noise you never noticed before.

Can you give us any more info on this noise? Is it when you slide your fingers up and down the strings?

12. I fixed the problem...I turned one of the knobs down and it went away. The noise was a rubbing noise thru the amp when I would even barely graze a string. Its all good

13. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Which knob did you turn down? The last, small one? That's your tone knob, and it's purpose is to bleed off high end. It can totally change the voice of your guitar. By turning it down, you have effectively "turned down" the treble, which, among other things, reduces the amount of string noise.

Try playing some notes, especially across the g-string, with this knob all the way up, and then all the way down. As long as you are cool with how it sounds when it's down, that's good. But string noise is an issue we all need to strive to fix through technique, not through EQ settings, equipment, or strings. You never want to have to sacrifice tonal flexibility for your technique. It's just a crutch that someday will stop you from getting the tone you want.

Work on NOT sliding your fingers along the strings, but rather, pickem them up off of one note, and placing it back down on the next.

14. Yea as a matter of fact that is the knob that I turned down...is it supposed to be turned down all the way? What are the other two 2 knobs for??

15. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I figured it might be. It is a tone knob, and, as such, should be turned to get a tone that you like. It's all a matter of taste. I prefer mine most or all the way up, but I drop it rather low for some songs.

The other two knobs are volume knobs for each of the pickups. They also make you sound different, basically. Try rolling the one closest to the neck down about 1/3. Thats a pretty nice rock/funk tone, IMO. Try rolling it ALL the way down. That's a very classic, common tone as well. Now put it all the was back up, and turn the middle one all the way down. That's about as close to a P-bass tone as you can get on a jazz bass.

Keep in mind many of these settings wont sound very good on their own to you. It's only in a bad, with other instruments playing, that they really start to shine. Also, especially on a passive instrument like yours, the BIGGEST ingredient to your tone is how you play it.

And remeber what I said. Never "cover up" technique issues. Fix them. You'll be glad you did.

16. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Just looked, and sure enough, the GL comes with stainless steel strings. When you replace them, try something nickel. They tend to be a lot less squeaky. That way, you can put your tone knob wherever you think sounds best, not what stops annoying noises.

BTW, your strings will naturally get less "squeaky" the more you play them.

17. I wondered what strings came with them.....where did you find that out at

18. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Fenders website. If I remember correctly, they are Fender 7350Ms. You should try out a set of 7250s, or D'Addario XLs, GHS boomers, or something else nickel plated, if the squeaky noise bothers you. Good luck.