1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do I fix this

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by johndde, Jan 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. johndde

johndde

Sep 9, 2013
    SPB4 went to strip the black wire and boom broke loose.

Attached Files:

2. Which black wire broke loose didn't see a broken one there?

If it is a contact like the thicker black wire you could easily solder a new wire in place with slightly higher heat on your solder gun (if variable temp).

Also a good idea to hold the wire right behind where you are stripping it so it doesn't stress the entire wire

3. Looks like a ground wire that broke loose unless there's another one I'm not seeing there.

4. johndde

johndde

Sep 9, 2013
    Yeah the whole black wire just ripped right off. On the bottom of the pic. Hoping I can just solder it back on.

5. johndde

johndde

Sep 9, 2013
    Is that the ground wire i broke off? It was black that goes to my controls

6. You should be able to find a comparable guage wire probably 18 guage and solder it on there. Keep in mind temp settings and cleaning and pre tinning your leads and spot to be soldered will make it much easier on you (not sure what wire it is I was just looking at the pic for a moment as usual follow your wiring diagrams). You can run the wire from the broken spot and leave the jumpers piece on there since you are only heating the one blob there (work smarter not harder lol)

7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

It’s the magnet ground attached to the copper foil. Just tin a new wire and solder it back on. Be quick with the heat so you don’t burn the adhesive on the foil

RedJag likes this.
  8. RedJag

RedJag

Mar 2, 2016
    Seems easy enough to fix, just needs new wire attached. If you don’t feel comfortable I’m sure there’s a guitar tech near you who can work on it.

9. johndde

johndde

Sep 9, 2013
    Thanks guys for it working, ain't pretty but it works