1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do I fix this?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lizooki, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    SL730105.

I posted about this before. I thought it was a cracked neck but once I got the fretboard off I see it's a failed scarf joint.
    Ignorant place to put a joint...but then again, I'm not a luthier, so....

Anyway, the Washburn B-10 had grover tuners and and active electronics w/ 3 band EQ which all work, so I figure it is worth the 25 bucks I paid.

Now back to the question.

How to fix it? I don't wanna just glue and clamp. It failed once, it'll fail again.

I was thinking of clamping and glueing, then drilling and glueing pegs through the joint from the fretboard side, just not all the way through.

Thoughts?
    Suggestions?

Matt

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Man-o-day, you should run this by the Luthiers' Corner. They use special cauls, jigs, clamps, glues, etc. for a proper repair. Where are you located? Any builders in your area?

Riis

3. mikedones

mikedones

Sep 14, 2008
    mike dones
    Talk to someone in your area who build guitars they will help you out.

4. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    The solution is to reglue it. Also, I'm looking at your photos and it appears as though the neck had been sweating. You didn't, per chance, leave this in the back of your car? What I do when this happens is break out the blocks which have differing inner radiuses (radii) to fit the back of the neck. Then a full length of block to cover the finger/fret board. Then about ten clamps along the neck. Just because a glue joint fails once doesn't mean it's destined for further failures.

5. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Looking at that wonky E tuner (it's twisted) I'd guess your bass suffered some trauma. The joint can easily fixed by a pro. It can be easily ruined by an inexperienced person. What you do is up to you.

6. Lizooki

Lizooki

Feb 24, 2008
    I didn't leave it in the car.....I bought it this way.....(cheeeeep!)

It's fixed now. I just need to level the frets and such. Everything seems to be working fine.

Thanks for the replies!

Matt