How do I form/join a band?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dawgawd, Aug 6, 2001.

1. dawgawd

Mar 23, 2000
    I've been playing bass for about 2 years now, guitar for about a year and a half. I'm not the best in the world by a long shot, but I am really really anxious to get a band going. This coming fall I am heading off to college and am hoping to join a band but I'm not sure how to go about it. I have a few major concerns.

1. How do I meet other musicians that might be interrested
    2. I've never met another punk/ska/emo fan in maine, how much luck am I going to have finding 2 or more who play the right instruments*
    *I will play music beyond punk and ska and such, but those are really my strong points. I will not have a metal band, I don't think that's in anyone's best interrest.
    3. My amp sucks.

also, I really want to do some cover songs, but i don't think i'm going to find that many people who would be interrested in the songs I like.

If anyone has ever been in such a position and knows how i might go about addressing my concerns, please post.
  2. Well, I can talk to you as a leadsinger.... cause I suck at bass ;)

First off, when you get to college (you should probably wait to start the band till then...) make SURE you have enough time...nothing sucks more then to form a band then realize you have to drop it.

After thats figured out, go down to the local music shop/store/whatever.... if there is a local stage where punk rock is played, go there... Talk to the owner and tell him/her that your lookin to start a band. If there is a Bulletin Board, post what you need and your number.

Go to places where music is taught, and if they have a bulletin board, post what you need, and your number. Talk to the instructer and tell him you need some help starting a band.

Finding people into punk isn't that hard, you can usually find em at your local skatepark...they are usually the people who are sitting off in the corner making fun of the skaters ;)

Also, if your college has a music class, especially jazz, go talk to the people there. Although they are in the jazz band or whatever, usually jazz isn't their only form of musical intrest. Jazz band usually has a bass, drums, sax, trumpet, trombone, and sometimes guitar. All the makings of a ska band.

Make sure its people you trust, who you can talk to as well as play with, and just are cool overall.
  3. Well said Son Of Spam.
    Dawgawd, You're a bassist, so you wont have any trouble with forming a band it all, finding the bass player is the hard part. Like SOS said, just go down to the local music store, and there will be countless notices about people looking to form bands and looking for a bass player. Also most colleges have a music club where you can meet up with other musicians, and most will have a musicians wanted noticeboard. You will also have no trouble finding a punk band, when I was looking to join a band, I had trouble trying to find a band that wasnt punk! Ska may be a little harder though.
  4. dawgawd

Mar 23, 2000
    well. Thank you both for your help.

I live in maine. Punk has like, almost no following up here for some reason. Almost every local act I've heard up here seems to be heavy hard rock stuff. Which is cool, but I don't really want to do that, ya know? as far as my interrest in ska goes, I'm not concerned about like, full horn section kind of stuff, I was thinking that if i went that rout it would be along the lines of a more punkish ska. Kind of like Less Than Jakes heavier stuff. Again, i'm not going limit myself and say that I'll play nothing but punk. But i want to be in a band that I would willingly listen to.

Also, like, where i went to high school we had an abundance of bass players. I'm not sure if that trend is likely to cary over to college. I've found one ad on the universities message boards for a guy looking for a guitar player, but I think he's yet another example of wanting to play hard heavy rock. I do have working for me the fact that I can and will play guitar, so I suppose that may help. again, thank you all.
  5. Anytime Dawgawd :)
    The fact that there arent many punk bands in your area could work to your advantage, as you'll stand out over all the heavy rock and it will be easier to make a name for yourselves.
    Good luck!
  6. When i started my band i was lucky to have a mate who had one of the most unqiue growls i have ever heard. I convinced him to help me in starting one and so we posted up ads for a drummer and guitarist.

In about 2 months we were established. Takes lots of dedication and dud calls. The countless phonecalls of stuck up musos going "i have 9 songs and u WILL like them and u WILL play them"

one word *Clunk* as one hangs up the phone.

Just make yourself known, scope out music circles. All it takes is if someone says "hey what do u like to do" and u respond with "i play bass and i want to join a band". Sooner or later it'll rebound off someone who knows someone etc.