1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do I get a a thicker sounding d and g string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BxfunkxS, May 4, 2015.

1. BxfunkxS

BxfunkxS

Mar 28, 2015
    I'm trying to get a fuller/deeper sound out of my d and g string like geddy lee's tone or flea's bssm tone both of those tone the d and g string sound just as deep as the a and e what would you suggest

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    It could be you need to adjust your pickup height.

3. BxfunkxS

BxfunkxS

Mar 28, 2015
    Thanks for replying but what do you by adjusting your pickup height. Do you me losing the pickup screws on one side

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Woodchuck is telling you that you may be able to obtain a stronger signal by raising the height of the pickups slightly on the G string side of the board. In addition to that, you might consider moving to a slightly heavier gauge of strings - at least on the D & G strings.

Example: If you're currently using light gauge strings (.040 .060 .080 .100), consider trying medium lights (.045 .65 .080 .100). If you're currently using medium gauge (.045 .065 .085 .105), try medium heavy (.050 .070 .085 .105).

MM

Woodchuck likes this.
  5. Eq goes a long way too

6. Rio Haride

Rio Haride

Mar 13, 2015
    Indonesia
    You heard the records version of Geddy and Flea. That's why you thought their tone is deep by itself.

Okay, somebody will blast me with the Tracy Robar (Flea's tech) interview about his bass. He said the EQ on the bass pre is "bass almost all the way up, treble roll-off quite a bit".

It's deep when you play on a bedroom, but in the mix it's very muddy. And Flea's techniques really helps tame his EQ settings. Cause when you play aggressive like Flea (hard pluck, near the bridge) it'll bring more high frequency.

On Geddy, he's bass has very thin and agressive sound (70's Jazz, Geddy Lee sig Jazz). But check his live video on somewhere, he play it towards the neck, very close to the fretboard. It really helps him to get deep tone from thin sounding bass.

I recommend you download tracks with drum and guitar included from wikiloops.com and something like that. Play it along, and you'll be surprised.

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    That's an understatement. You can suck the life right out of the D & G strings when attenuating critical EQ points.

Riis

8. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

all of the above.

Play those strings close to the neck for more bottom.

Thicker gauge will definitely help

Raising the pickup will make it louder, not necessarily deeper, the string gauge and type will have more influence.

9. Boom762

Boom762 I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Lubbock, TX
    In my experience, I have this issue with all P pups. I can't ever get the d and g to sound as full as the E and A. Even if I make the pickups crooked, it never works out. That's why I use soapbars and MM.

10. King Kolon

King Kolon

Jul 15, 2014
    Bassist
    Do you have a variable mid-freq adjustments fixed if fixed, get a ten band foot pedal or Says Amp floor set-up. A Open D is rate at 65-66Hz, open G at 70-75Hz. These frequencies are pretty right-of-way. If you have a Bass know that is a shelving at 100Hz, you will boost those frequency's, but if you Bass know boosts at 80Hz, that's better because it's more musical. 80Hz is one octave above an open E on your Bass. Which will boost all the lower registers(Frequencies) on your instrument(Bass gtr.) so if you experiment, you candicover the Science Behind Sound. If you have sweeping mid-freq. adjustment as l have on my GenzBenz's & SWR amps & my 400RB all have variable freq. Adjustments. So experiment with your sound. That's how you develope your signature Sound anyway. JohnBurns, Branson, Mo.

11. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    my Squier CV P stock pickup is similiar problem with D & G string.

After i swap with Fender Pure vintage 63 pup & labella 760FL, D & G string sound fuller .

12. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009