1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do I get a band together?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BassWindu711, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Im in high school and i am really trying to get a band together. I know many musicians but i cant seem to find anybody who shares the same taste as me. I personally like music like van halen, zeppelin, and really anything 80s. All the other guys i know like jazz (which i like but im not doing a jazz group) or that hardcore stuff i cant get into. Also singers who like rock in school are a rare breed. Any suggestions or tips?

2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Put up adds on the internet, on your school, at the library and the local music store.

3. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    I agree with the aboec, and also check out bands looking for players. There tends to be a lot of bands wanting a bass player. I don't know how old you are though.

4. snowplow

snowplow

Jan 4, 2012
    Michigan
    If you werent in high school, I'd suggest going to open mic nights at bars. But Craigslist, BandMix are a good place to start. Ask people that give lessons if they have any students that'd be interested.

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Get some people together and see what happens. Unless you want a Van Halen tribute band, it doesn't matter what people like to listen to. I think Dave Lee Roth listened to soul music.

Influence and copy are two different words.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Since vocalists are rare, maybe start there.
    Put out ads at other schools.

The first good band I was in had guys from 3 high school and one guy who was out of school. I also switched from rock to a horn band.

Also, see if you can find somepeople to jam with.

7. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Local music stores that teach guitar lessons. A few years ago after my son's guitar lesson, a kid about his age came up to him and asked him if he was interested in joining a start up a band. He was just hanging around the music store after school and introducing himself to people.

8. Thanks! And a lot of bands do need bassist. Their are not many of us. But most people on craigslist are looking for people over 21. Im 16 so im out of luck haha

9. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    it can be a little frustrating. team up with that hot chic in the drama class. that would be a good start.

10. That's what I'm trying to do haha. I'm tryin to get this chic from the schools chorus to sing. She's the only one who can hit he high notes.

11. Keithwah

Keithwah

Jan 7, 2011
    Milwaukee WI
    That was how I met 100's of peers and heroes! Best way to meet people in your business, hang around your business. I had Gary Richrath from REO teach me how to play Ridin' the Storm Out in a music store some 30 plus years ago when he heard me butchering it while trying out a guitar.

You never know who you will meet. I've met many others in this same fashion. You hear a guy playing some good stuff, toss a compliment and introduce yourself. I guarantee some of these introductions can last for many moons. You see a guy with a Paiste t-shirt anywhere...he's a drummer, guys who wear gear tees are players or techs, you need to know both of these kinds of people. If playing doesn't always take you where you want to go, you may find you have great gifts in support roles for bigger artists.

You need a drummer? Introduce yourself. If he's out of your league, maybe he's got a buddy or a student that is up your alley. I was working graveyard at a grocery store about 33 years back, I needed a drummer, I saw a guy with a Tama t-shirt come in to buy munches and said hey. I played with this guy for five years, roomed with him on several occasions, moved away for the next 25 years. We still talk on the phone, email, visit when I get to go back home, absolutely one of my greatest friends ever. Ya never know unless you open your mouth and say Hi!

Now go start your music career by being very friendly and very open, and above all never play bs games by not being totally honest with where you are at and where others at in your book.

I understand wanting to nail the chick in choir class, but you need a drummer and a guitarist first. Learn to play a couple song with some other players before you start to bring in singers.

12. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    ^everything but that last part. bands are built around singers (like it or not). if there's a singer on board (didn't have to be a chic/doesn't have to be about sex... otoh in high school what isn't?) the other spots should be easier to fill.

13. the Arsonaut

the Arsonaut

Aug 27, 2012
    Go to a local show. See some local bands. People in bands tend to know people in other bands...they can help get the word out that you're looking to get involved. By local, I don't care if it's teen center, club, hall show...
    Getting out there, you'll get a better feel for who the flakes are, something craigslist seems to mask very well.

More often, necessity is the cause of "good" singers, bass players, etc.

And remember that Compromise is the glue that sticks a band together...Who knows what you guys will end up playing, but you'll be happy that it wasn't Metalcore jazz standards...

14. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

+1 to things that have already been said. I'd just add that maybe you shouldn't think of it as "starting a band." Think of it as "getting together to jam." If you get together with some jazz guys, or with some hardcore guys, and just accept that everybody has their own take on how they like to play, you might end up with some really interesting blends of styles. If you like playing together and keep at it, it will gel into a band with time.

If you don't, you still learn from the experience, and maybe sometime one of those jazz guys has a guitarist or drummer friend of a friend who's into Zeppelin, and he says, "Hey, you should meet BassWindu711, I used to jam with him, he's into that stuff too..." and off you go.

15. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    True, but for a bassist looking for his first band, partnerships with drummers are more likely to create bridges to additional opportunities. Form a partnership with a good drummer, and the two of you will tend to bring each other into work. You can also rehearse w/ a drummer during periods when you don't have a full band.

16. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    excellent point.

17. metlman72

metlman72

Jun 29, 2011
    Long Island NY
    I think playing with a group of guys/gals with varied taste can help a band. There is much more to draw from, your own style as a band will emerge from it.
    I can tell you that music I mostly listen to is not what my band is playing. I do however bring elements of what I like into the mix when it fits the song.
    I remember my band in high school like it was yesterday, rather than the 20 + yrs it has been. I could not wait for rehersals, one of the best times of my life.
    My advice beside what has been said is to have fun.

18. jamminology101

jamminology101

Aug 22, 2012
    Indianapolis In
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    I agree with everything previously said, even the hot chic thing. The big thing around my area in indianapolis is the chic lead singing thing playing rock and dance rock. When I was first getting into cover bands in the 80s the stuff u want to play was all pretty current and on the radio(not xm classic rock either!) and most all people were into it....including the girls. Do yourself a favor and get with a good drummer who shares your goals and dedication to the craft and alleviate a lot of problems down the road. When u have a good rhythm section nucleus, you can start adding pieces thru word of mouth, local music shop posts, craiglist, etc. When u guys finally have something to offer, start auditioning singers. You won't really need them to practice and get tight, but a good vocalist for rock genre is REALLY hard to find because they are required to cover so many styles and octave ranges. Good singers can also be divas, for they know they can virtually make or break cover bands, but it comes with the territory. Find that drummer and work on becoming a rock solid rhythm section and all the other pieces will fall into place and remember the more you have to offer the guitarist, keys, singers from a solid perspective, the better pieces you will have to choose from. I wish you well with ur music journey and hopefully it will be as fun as it is rewarding.