How do I get a Breed sound out of my Rat?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by acapella rapeme, Dec 12, 2005.

1. acapella rapeme

acapella rapeme

Dec 9, 2005
    I was just wondering if anyone can help me out. I have a ProCo Vintage Rat pedal, does anyone know what settings Krist Novoselic used on this pedal on Breed? Thanks.
  2. TrevorNorton

TrevorNorton Banned

Jun 8, 2007
    a fuzz setting, i dont own a rat but im sure you can go to or google it
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  4. TrevorNorton

TrevorNorton Banned

Jun 8, 2007
    now i do own a rat and his settings where distortion all the way up, filter off, and volume 3/4's of the way up. but remember you got to tweek your eq, get the LM308 chip then test it.
  5. I wouldn't use a tweeter if your cab has one either.
  6. TrevorNorton

TrevorNorton Banned

Jun 8, 2007
    use both humbuckers (he used his gibson ripper) and tone all the way up. if you have an eq, then set it flat. its pretty simple tune. what type of amp is it? well i hope its not a solid state because he only used tube amps. PROBLEM SOLVED
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

What was the point of that? Because someone wants to sound like Nirvana's bassist?
  8. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Tonawanda, NY
    Actually I think bongo's post is directed towards trevor's.
  9. Didn't he use a Warwick to record? Warwich wasn't exactly "grunge" so he only used it in the studio.
  10. TrevorNorton

TrevorNorton Banned

Jun 8, 2007
    he only used the warwick on something in the way. he smashed it on endless,nameless recording. according to krist he said the warwick was way too small, not long enough, and way too light for his likings. he said he never recorded anything else with it. all of his recordings were with a gibson ripper or ibanez black eagle (bleach cd) and for his band Eyes Adrift back in 2001 i think he recorded with a Gibson RD Artist with Rotosound RS66LD string (the only thing he mods all of his basses with)
  11. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass

too small, not long enough, and way too light
    ....describing a warwick!? . .how much do the ibanez and gibson weight ...50lbs?
  12. kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    If you have a new RAT... Good Luck.

The new rats are nothing like the old ones... My guess is unless you found it at a yard sale, or paid $200 on ebay, you have a new one my friend...

Buy the chip mod and have at it.
  13. Earwaxsculptor

Earwaxsculptor Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2005
    The Garden State
    Ok, what you need to do is get a male RCA to male mono 1/4 jack cable and go from the line out on the back of your stereo into your RAT pedal, then out of your rat RAT into a very clean bass amp driving a full range cabinet with all eq settings on flat, then play the CD track through your RAT into your bass cab with the RAT OFF.
    There you go, simple as that. :D
  14. TrevorNorton

TrevorNorton Banned

Jun 8, 2007
    actually diechris, that is what he said. he never liked any warwicks after words. Plus he said his ripper was about 10-12 pounds and his ibanez to be atleast 14-15 pounds. he didnt like small, light, and short basses.
  15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Getting a rat to breed shouldn't be too difficult. :bag: