Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HOW do I get a decent low B sound???!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dewees, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Dewees

Dewees

May 4, 2000
    OK - I'm a little frustrated. I have three five strings.

The low B on my Carvin LB75F fretless SUCKS! The problem is that this is really my main bass. Right now I have D'Addario half rounds on it with a tapered .130 low B. This basss has a koa body.

What seems strange to me is that the low B on my fretted Carvin LB75 sounds fine. This bass has a mahogany body. This is a round wound set with a .130 tapered low B.

The low B on my Godin A5 fretless sounds pretty good. This is a flat wound D'Addario chromes set with a .132 low B. I can live with this sound.

Basically, I get a thuddy sound from my Carvin fretless. It's as though all the harmonics have been sucked out of the string. I keep trying different strings but this gets expensive. Maybe I just have to get another fretless. I just don't get why the fretted one would sound so good in comparison, though.

Could there be anything about the electronics?

Any suggestions for strings?

Do I really need to get a better bass? (Then why does the fretted one sound so good?)

thanks,

Mike

2. It was suggested to me that Rotosounds were pretty good. *shrugs*

shouldn't this be elsewhere??

:D:D

Merls

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    First time I get to move a thread to STRINGS.

4. originally posted by merlin:
    It was suggested to me that Rotosounds were pretty good. *shrugs*

i have roto's on my yamaha 5'r and they sound awsome. lots 'o punch

5. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Maybe try a non tapered string. It has been suggested that more string mass over the bridge saddle improves the sound of the string.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Same pups on both of your Carvins???

7. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Alright! [​IMG]

8. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Yup, I had the same problem with my thumb 6. So I stopped using tapered Bs'. No more dead B.

9. Dewees

Dewees

May 4, 2000
    I don't really know - The fretted is a little older: Doesn't have the string-through-body of the fretless. The PUs all look the same. But maybe the fretless has Carvin's stacked HB version. It doesn't seem to have the same output level as the fretted one.

Thanks,

Mike

10. Dewees

Dewees

May 4, 2000
    I will try that. It does seem that I was getting a better sound from the last set I had on there and that was a non tapered string.

Gee, I wonder if I could "shorten" the B I have on there now to above the taper ?

No, really.

Mike

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Well, Mike, you can always do what I did - call up Carvin and tell them about it.

I had a problem on an 8-month old Carvin and they picked it up to give to their repair guy and returned it -twice! - all at their expense....(they ended up keeping the bass, though).

If it is their stacked humbucker vs. their J-99, the J-99 has more output.