Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I get a somewhat Warwickish clunk

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 0scar, Apr 18, 2005.

1. 0scar

0scar

Jul 11, 2003
    on a Fender?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Which fender? And which warwick are you trying to mimic?

Ray

3. 0scar

0scar

Jul 11, 2003
    Marcus Miller and Corvette

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Well, I can't actually help you, I just thought I'd get that from you so someone can :p. Good luck,

Ray

5. if you want a warwickish clunk...i'd say buy a warwick :bassist: it's what i plan on doing

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Also, if you can, define your "clunk" or give band/song references, so we can help better...

Ray

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Some EMGs or MECs might get you close, but the missing factor would be the bell brass frets and the woods.

8. 0scar

0scar

Jul 11, 2003
    Ryan Martini from Mudvayne's warwick sounds great.

I have a rockbass, and I like the sound, but I also like the Marcus Miller bass which I plan on buying.

Both obviously have a different sound/fell, so I was wondering if any of you knew a way I could kind of warwick-out my future Miller bass soundwise? It doesn't have to be a full change, I don't want that. Just kind of have that semi-loose, slappy bright feel of a Warwick opposed to the warm, soft sound of a Fender

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Not to be disrespectful, but I thought I read that there is no such thing as "bell brass" and it's actually like, colored normal fret wire? I may be mistaken though...

Ray

10. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    If you want a warwick sound from a jazz as opposed to the traditional fender tone, I'd say just get a standard jazz rather than a marcus miller model. I wouldn't think it'd be worth it to get one if you're going to completely change the sound. You might have more luck finding some different pickups for your rockbass.

11. Ray, I'm pretty sure it's actually brass. On my bass at least, if it's not kept perfectly clean it tarnishes slightly like only brass does.

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If you have ever seen unlcean warwick frets, you can see the corrosion from the copper content.

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Ok, I'll be the first to admit it, here's the quote I was thinking of when I said that:
    Sorry guys, my mistake.

Ray

14. I'd imagine the MM Fender is a good start being ash-bodied (a bit closer to the Warwick tone than alder). I'd say get some hotter, sharper pickups (MECs?) and maybe swap out the preamp.

15. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    My Warwick had to be refretted after 3 months, the humidty we get during summer in MD turned the frets BLACK. Then the neck warped and the body swelled and cracked. If you live in MD do not buy a Warwick unless you plan on keeping it in your fridge.

Back to the topic at hand: none of my stainless fretted guitars have done this, so there is really a difference in the fret materials.

16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Sorry to hear that... :(
    It looks like there are huge shifts in humidity where you are - I think you're better off with closed finishes, but I think you already know that.
    Keeping it in a fridge isn't the solution, it rather needs even humidity all year round - so in a very humid summer, it needs a drier place.