Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how do I get active basses to react like passive ones w/effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ModulusAcacia, Feb 9, 2004.

1. ModulusAcacia

ModulusAcacia Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 22, 2000
    Middletown/Cincy, OH WHO-DEY!
    owner: J. Kennedy Guitar Repair, Guitar tech for Walk the Moon
    Ok, pardon my ignorance here, but I've only recently gone effects crazy. Here's my problem, with only a few exceptions I use nothing but analog effects (currently: Emma discombobulator, E-H bassballs, small clone, and small stone, fulltone choralflange and bassdrive, and a few others to be added soon). My basses are an active lakland, a passive lakland Joe osborn, and two acacia's with J-retro pre-amps (that I've been running in passive mode lately). I'm having trouble with the effects reacting with the active basses, i.e. the bass balls is always full go when using actives, but with passive basses it works fine. Same deal with the Discombobulator. so my question is would something like the Raven Labs MDB-1 do the trick for making my actives react like passives, or and I totally screwed becuase actives just screw the whole deal up? I love the sound and ease of tone shaping ability with my actives, but I love the sound of the effects with the passives. Help me find my solution, PLEASE! :confused: and if this was hard to understand post on here and I'll try to clairify it.

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Try turning the volume down on the bass. If that doesn't work, I suppose you could make a cunning box with a pad and a impedance matching transformer in it to emulate the lower voltage and higher output impedance of a passive bass.

Alex

3. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    And how would this box be made exactly?

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I don't have your effects or basses, but I have a wall of active basses (which were all passive at one time), a LightWave optic, and one passive bass. Handful of effects gear but mostly I run through a Korg PX4B (swiss army knife). My experience has been the basses respond differently to different effects. But clearly I've gotten better response overall from effects with actives than passive - but not always and some actives respond better to some effects on some settings than others. So it may just be a mismatch you've got going for your active.

Personally, I'd just run my tone shaping for the passive off the amp, assuming you're running an amp with some controls. You could spend a lot of time jacking around to no avail trying to get what you're after out of the active. Some combinations are dynamite and some suck, so it goes.

Or you could get the old can opener out and go for it. I've done my share and will do more, so I wouldn't blame you if you did.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Another thought - rrrrrrRRRRRRRRREAL longshot, if you have different strings on the passive, you might try those on the active and see what happens.