How do i get Billy Gould's grunt...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BassAIC, Oct 10, 2005.

1. BassAIC

Sep 28, 2005
    Billy Gould from Faith No More, has one of the nicest basstones that I have ever heard. Especially on King for a day, Fool for a lifetime..

His sound has been described as the typical peavey grunt.... is it not possible to get a sound much like his using other gear than peavey.

My gear right now is:

Eden Wt405
    EBS 4x10
    Tech 21 Sansamp
    Fender Jazz
    Musicman Stingray.

any ideas? settings perhaps on how to get a tone ala Billy Goulds?
  2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    How about a Zon bass?
    I'm pretty sure that's a lot of the tone right their.
  3. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Is "grunt" another of those words? I get "mwah," and maybe "growl," I'm good with "thump." What's "grunt"? (Maybe I should go listen to the guy...)
  4. the sansamp should be able to cover that well...his bass sounds a lot like jesse vest of tantric, who uses the sansamp a lot...i would say try that with a new set of strings...that should get a good approximation of his "grunt"(?)
  5. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    If I'm not mistaken around the KFAD era he was using an SansAmp PSA-1. Of course he had all the Peavey gear he is known for and his Zon bassess. That and for most of the KFAD album he used a plec. Maybe not through entire songs, but he would switch quite often.

For those interested, I heard an interview with Billy. In addition to recently tracking two songs on the new Fear Factory he is hoping to realease his new project sometime early in 2006! Stoked? You betcha. Before that he was doing Brujeria, but I think that my have fizzled. He has also done quite a few guest spots. Then he did this project called Castro Sinatra with Mike Bordin and Jon Hudson (also of FNM). But he said it wasn't really working out so they shelfed it. There is also some unrealeased FNM stuff that he doesn't think will ever get realeased due to the quality.

Anyway, new project hopefully sometime in 2006. SWEET!!!!