Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how do I get feildys tone from Korns FIRST album?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by videodrone, Mar 29, 2003.

1. videodrone

videodrone

Mar 29, 2003
    his bass tones amazing, I have a bass Sansamp DI, anyone have any other suggestions on gear or EQs I could take advatage of to get teh slap bass sound,

2. I'm not touching this with a ten foot pole... off to misc. (heads up Blackbird, Embellisher)

3. Fieldy? Tone? Where?

:D :rolleyes:

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    the best way to do it is to get a microphone, right, then plug it into your bass amp. Tune your bass (you have a 5-string right?) to dropped G#. Then just smack the microphone against your fattest string. Tada... instant Fieldy.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    P.S. Do a search , you'll learn a lot about Fieldy that way.

6. please guys, the guy has a legit question here. I would like to know myself - all I know is the mids are scooped way out

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    If anyone is REALLY curious... do a search. It does wonders.

8. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    You'll find almost everyone here has a problem with him. i like him because its more percussion than bass which is cool in its own little way. but ya he's a druumer playing a bass.

scoop the mids big time, you do need a five string detuned, turn the treb up, and the bass too. and when you slap bouncethe srting off the pickups. that should get you close enough to it that you can screw arround till you get what you want.

9. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    raise yer pickups until they almost touch the strings, tune WAYYY down until the strings are too loose to play, turn the mids down as far as physically possible, get a really long strap, and hang the thing down at your ankles.

BADA-BING!! you are now fieldy.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Use extreme smiley face EQ. You need all lows and highs, no mids.

Detune all of the strings on your 5 string at least 1 1/2 steps.

Turn the tweeter on your cabinet to the highest setting.

Slap almost every note.

11. I believe he actually Removed the Mid's from his bass altogether, therefor making the Clickity click click.

12. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I don't understand the concept that "you need a five string to sound like Fieldy". His strings are so detuned they are pitchless, and he only uses one. If it needs to be a thick string, believe it or not, you could put a .145 on a 4-string. I've done it, and I actually play bass on my bass.

13. wonderboy

wonderboy

Oct 27, 2002
    worst thread ever?

who on god's earth would ever want to sound remotely close to THAT?!?! it's horrific. it's not musical at all. fieldy is saddam of bass. hated by everyone.

14. fireworks_god

fireworks_god

Oct 30, 2002
    Now, now... come on guys.
    You all know you just LOVE saying to someone, "Hey, want to hear me play Korn's new single?" Then the people say, "yeah, sure".
    You then start beating the **** out of the strings, noisly and incompetantly.

At least, I know that I'VE done that before. Hehe

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I hate FiElDy'S tone. but it works well for him, and fits well in the context of the band that he plays with.

He is not a virtuoso by any stretch of the imagination, but his technique, like his tone, works very well with Korn. He has found his niche, so to speak.

Are all of the bashers jealous of his success?

16. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Extreme smiley face EQ: :D

I dig Fieldy's tone. It fits the band, and it's unique. His band, his playing, and his tone have made him millions, so apparently something is working for him.

Last I checked, he was using Mesa/Boogie M-2000, which allow for massive tone shaping via 8 million knobs and faders. Suck out the mids and boost your bass and treble. I bet he's blending in a slight bit of distortion, but I could be wrong.

17. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I think detuning a bass that low qualifies as distortion. :D

18. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    They probably said that of the first 5 string bass, too.

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think what he does in "Got the life" is pretty cool... very drumlike. I'm curious how that is done.