how do i get good tone from my carvin 1000 bass head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bogart, Dec 11, 2003.

1. bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    i'm using an ibanez soundgear passive 5-string through a carvin r 1000 head with a carvin 4x10 and 1x15. I cant even come close to making it sound good. Gimme some starter settings please! I'm into a jaco type of tone, and a tool type of sound.
  2. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Start with the Graphic EQ set flat(as well as the other tone controls),noise gate off,compressor off and make small adjustments from there.It's a decent sounding amp but it does take a while to find your sound with it.Good luck..........
  3. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Exactly, get into that EQ! Turn all the other stuff off. I run my EQ like a smiley face almost if that helps, the only thing is I roll back the extreme highs over 2k down too. A Tool tone is done with effects, pre amps and stuff like that. You won't sound like Tool because you don't have the same gear, and your bass is passive. But with that Carvin you will get a nice clean tone and that's what that rig is for, you must establish that first in order to add effects down the road. You can get a muti effects board like a Line 6 and actually down load bass tones from different bands, at least you can with thier guitar gear, it should be the same for bass.That's just my 2 cents....keep it simple at first untill you know your gear better.
  4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Start by smashing the amp, ripping the speaker cones, dousing it with WD-40, and lighting it on fire until it starts looking something like this:
    It'll probably sound better anyways that way.

5. Hey man, not to be a dick or anything, but you're more than likely not going to get a Jaco AND Justin Chancellor (Tool) sound of out the same rig and/or bass. For Jaco, you'll at least need some sort of Jazz-type bass I'd think, and to really recreate that tone you'll need some big speakers, like 15's and 18's like he used, preferably Acoustics if you can find 'em. I don't like him or his tone or style, so that's all I can help out on regarding that. For Justin, you need an active bass that has a super-hot output (like his Wal's and my Spectors), have a good woody tone, learn to be impeccable when using a pick, get a badassed solid-state amp like our Mesa Engineering M-Pulse 600's, which I think your Carvin is, use only 10's, and really tweak the mid to upper-mid ranges on your amp, as that's where Justin likes to hang out. You'll before anything need a SansAmp BDDI, Boss delay, chorus, flange, and then another distortion/fuzz if you want it, as he uses a ProCo and the SansAmp. He has a LOT of ****, and that's why his tone really stands out and lots of people want to sound like him, but most of it is his technique. You gotta LOVE playing with a pick to even attempt to get his style and sound. His chops are incredible live. He has better control than most GOOD fingerstyle players out there.
  6. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    That was an inflammatory post, Ox.
  7. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I have tried many times to get a decent tone out of one of those Carvin 1000 heads.
    I just cannot do it, I guess I'm just used to an Ampeg rig that just has bad ass tone built right into it.
    I think your best bet is to sell that Carvin and get something different..SWR, Ampeg, Mesa, even a GK if your into that type of tone.
  8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
  9. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    if your trying to impress others, you will get more respect by having a remotley intelegent reply. and bogart said he uses a 5 string ibanez, not a 4 string rogue.

if your going to attepmt to be funny, at least get your facts right :rolleyes:
  10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD

I was just trying to emphasize the fact i don't like the newer carvins suck, but I don't have anything against ibanez.
  11. The best tone I could get out of my R 1000 was when I used a Sans Amp Bass Driver pedal between my bass and the head and left the EQ on the head flat.I could get a pretty good tone without the Sans Amp by pushing in both the preset buttons and just tweaking the mids some but it sounded tons better with the pedals EQ.The Carvins are very flat/dry sounding without EQing but if you play with it enough there are some real nice tones in there.Be sure to read the manual carefully,it explains thing pretty well.
  12. Good luck!
    I auditioned for a band at a local studio and the "house amp" was a R1000 and a Carvin 8x10 cab.
    It was the worst sounding amp I've ever heard. I tweeked the controls for a good while and I could not get anything close to a decent tone. I can't understand how Carvin would let that tone leave the factory. I'm sorry your having problems, best of luck in your search!
  13. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Carvin amps sounds good through Carvin basses and only Carvin basses?

Yes or no?
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sell it and buy an Eden WT-800.
  15. Buy an awesome preamp, bypass the pre on the carvin and use the carvin power amp.
  16. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The carvin power amp on those clip at halfway on the master. He's better off with anything else.
  17. The power section of the R1000 is the same as the Carvin DCM1000 power amp.I used my R1000 for a couple years with my RBI preamp and it had plenty of power and I never had a problem with it.Maybe the preamp isn't the best sounding out there but some people like it and the build quality is pretty good.I'm saying this from personal experiance gigging with this head,not from what other people say or have heard.Don't trash it if you haven't tried it.
  18. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I agree with Blues Bass 2. I use R1000 with Carvin's 4x10 and 1x18. I keep EQ flat, and shape my tone on the bass, as most of my basses are active. I do have a Sans AMP DI, but I have never ever used it with this amp - I get good tone without it.

I gig with few different bands with this setup, and rotate 5-6 of my basses on it depending on what I have to play (DP Custom, Warmoth fretless, G&L 2500, Rick Turner Electroline, '75 Jazz with J-Retro, '90 Alembic Essence).

It sounds good with all of them...maybe not great, but certainly good. I often get complimented on my tone by band members, other musicians and audiences too.
  19. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    When I first got back into bass after a while, I bought an R600 and a Carvin 410 for a cheap rig since I wasn't sure how long the love affair would be rekindled.

Mine was the series II with that still had a real tube and as well as a SS preamp stage with a blender.

Apart from being the quietest 600W amp that I had ever seen, I discovered that the amp is pretty common sounding and is VERY dependent on the bass you are using.

As mentioned, if you set the tone controls fairly flat and play a pretty good sounding bass through it, it sounds pretty good.

With all due respect, I wouldn't qualify the passive SG basses as sounding good, so I am not surprised you are struggling with the sound.

FWIW, the smileyface (mid scooped) sound may sound great in your basement playing alone, but you'll be totally buried in the mix if you use it playing with guitars and drums.