How do I get less brightness and more bottom?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rbbonfire, Jun 1, 2004.

1. rbbonfire

Jan 20, 2004
    I have a SWR SM-900, along with a Goliath III cab. The sound is naturally bright, but depending on what bass I am playing, can be even brighter than normal. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get more bottom end. I am considering adding a 15 or 18 speaker cab (something like a Trace Elliot). Would it help to add a preamp to the set-up? Does any one have any ideas as to other speaker set-ups, etc. that I might look at? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I actually like the Goliath III's, but I seem to be missing out on a lot bottom end. Thanks.
  2. Adding a 15 will definately add Beef!
  3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    That's why I start with 15's and add 10's to taste. A 1x15 added to your rig would be perfect. A 1x18 has lots of oomph, but unless it's EQ'd perfectly, you're not going to get much definition out of it; definintely not as much from a 15. But that should do the trick, I think.
  4. Rockstar, I've been recently doing it that way too. I started with a 15 cab, added a 2x12 cab, and have decided I would like to add a 2x10 cab. Where does it end?
  5. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Have you tried eq'ing out the highs. Cutting highs can take some of the brightness out, also you should be able to cut the highs on your bass. To achieve more lows you can either boost the lows or cut some mids, you can get more precieved low end cutting mids then boosting lows.

Other then that, I would say add a 15 or a some 12's to the mix, that should add some beef. You will still have the SWR brightness to deal with, just extra lows.

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF

Why should it? :D

For me it'll take a while, but it'll be a while before I need my dream rig anyhow, but ah well. :) No harm in working up slowly. This matched Mesa Powerhouse set (2x10+1x15) is going to do me good for a while, I believe. Only thing I would buy next before going to a full touring rig would be a 4x10 to replace the 2x10.
  7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Turn off your horn. It will work wonders for your tone.
  8. rbbonfire

Jan 20, 2004
    I have worked with the EQ. I have not tried turning off the horn. I'll try that. Thanks.
  9. Get an 18" only if, like me, you want to be a 100% sure that that dub reggae thick and juicy bowel shaking bottom end will not be missed by the audience. :)

10. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

You don't necessarily have to turn the horn all the way off. I used to run a pair of Goliath Junior cabs and kept the horns rolled back 75%.
  12. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yup, you still need a little cut.
  13. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    You have to add a 15 or 18. I used to own a Goliath 4x10, and my little Bag End S-15D would blow the SWR away as far as low end goes.

I always thought the SWR Goliath Sr. was a great cab for slap and a modern scooped tone, but not very good for warm fingerstyle playing.

Get a SWR Big Ben to compliment the Goliath. Great low end response with definition!