Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I get more gigs as a sound techie?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dan Loader, Sep 30, 2003.

1. I've been doing the odd job as a sound tech for local bands recently and I've become pretty good (or so I think). I really enjoy everything invovled with it, from setting up to the performance and getting it all packed up.
    The bands I've techied for have all be quite pleased, they've drawn crowds of up to 200 people.

What I want to do is start making a career out of this, do more gigs with bands that I don't perhaps know, and maybe the odd recording. How do I go about promoting myself as a sound tech? How do I get gigs when I don't have my own equipment?

2. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    well i am only 14, i would say your best bet is to put an advert in like a paper/magazine or make a flyer and put them into a pub around where most gigs are or some type of place like it

3. Invest in some business cards for yourself as a sound tech, hand them out to club owners, bands, and musicians at every possible opportunity. Oh, and check your voice mail often, return calls promptly. :)

1)Investigate local places that rent pro audio gear, see what their prices are, see if you could receive a discount after establishing good terms with them.
    2)You will need to be able to transport the gear to and from the gig, if you don't have a truck you'll need to rent or borrow one.

Good luck!! It's quite satisfying to have friends, musicians, club owners, etc. approach our band's sound tech (me) and they say "Damn, your mix sounds great!!"

:)

4. Thanks for the tips guys.

I'll have to get me some business cards done.

The satisfaction for me is really when everything runs smoothly, and when someone asks "Have you got this screwdrive/cable/lead etc" I can provided quickly and please the band.

There's a lot of resentment for sound guys on here because we have the reputation of destroying the tone of a good amp. That's something I'd never let happen.